Good beginner IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
In search for a good, beginner IPA. Something easy to do if a person has only relatively brewed once or twice before (extracts), and this is their first all-grain.

What hops do you recommend for a first timer?

IPA's are good to cut your teeth on and hone your skills... They are forgiving! There are numerous recipes under the Recipe tab.... but this one seems to have gotten a lot of looks!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=81478

Looks good, bit pricey at about 90$ for the ingredients. I'm thinking maybe something cheaper for a first time brew, just in case I screw it up, that way I'm not pumping a ton into ingredients that I might butcher.

My house ipa grain bill is

13lb Maris otter low colour (sub for US 2 row)
1/2 weyermann abbey malt (or aromatic)
1/4 caravienna
1/4 flaked barley.

If you want to simplify you can go 13lb base malt and 1/2 of caravienna or 3/4 pound abbey/aromatic

Mash low to get a nice fermentable wort.

A neutral yeast like us05 or Nottingham.

As for hops I normally do a bittering charge, warrior, magnum, horizon or northern brewer are good choices to get to 50 ibu's.

Then at 15 mins, whirlpool and later a dry hop. At least 3 Oz in the whirlpool and 3oz in the dryhop. Normally just an Oz at 15 mins.

I suggest simcoe and Amarillo in a 1:1 ratio at each step.

If you can afford more hops use more, I normally just use up the pack. So my stand and dry hop are about 1/2lb each.

$90??? Making 20g?
That's a good brew. But you can go stupid simple
2 row and 8 oz of hops.
Add in a few oz light Crystal if you want it sweeter
Half pound of sugar(flame off, end of boil) if you want it drier.
Yoopers house APA is a solid recipe as well
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=100304

It looked like 90$-100$ depending on the sites I checked, and that was for 5 gallons (not 20 gallons, if thats what you meant by 20g).

And since it's a first time all-grain, I rather not drop a chunk of change on a batch that might get ruined.

The beer and recipe sounds great. I'm not denying that, I'm just saying for a first time brew batch, maybe 90-100$ for 5 gallons that may _or_ my not turn out well, isn't the best idea. My personal choice. No harm meant, no need to be angry.

We'll ultimately ipa's aren't cheap. There's little getting around the large grain and hop bill.

$20 for grain, $8 bucks for two packets of US-05 and $25 for hops..... Should be $55 or less..... If you want to save more than that on a 5 gallon batch you really need to consider buying in bulk....

IPA's are good to cut your teeth on and hone your skills... They are forgiving! There are numerous recipes under the Recipe tab.... but this one seems to have gotten a lot of looks!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=81478

I just brewed this recipe as my first IPA, it wasn't any where near $90. It's still bottle conditioning but the sample I took smelled and tasted wonderful.

I'd bet this is probably one of the cheaper ipas. There isn't nearly the volume of hops in it that I normally see people list in their recipes

You want simple 2row and citra smash.
12# 2row .5 sugar at flame 1 oz at 60 10 0
3oz wrlp 30min 160* 3 oz dry hop wlp 007 dont forget the irish moss mash at 149.

Ok everyone, thanks on the advice. My price-shopping was probably off. Sorry.

Back