Good beer turned bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhall23

Reaction score
Was hoping to get some feedback or advice. I have been keeping beer for a few years now and haven’t had this happen.

I have two beers that I kegged on 8/19/17 (honey brown ale) and 9/17/17(maple pumpkin ale). Both beers have tasted great up until last week. Now they don’t taste like they have been tasing. They both have a unique bite. I have done nothing different with these.
I have a 4 handle homemade kegerator and fear my other kegs will go bad now too.
I clean my lines and equipment between each keg change. I have the same CO2 tank for a little bit now.
Carbonation is good.
Clarity is good.
Color is good.
Just the taste is definitely not what was.
Anyone have any thoughts, solutions to save the beer?

Yeah. I’m surprised the flavor basically changed almost instantaneously.

After talking to a buddy that home brews, he suggested that my beer became oxygenated.
Should I dump the beer? Or can get it beer saved? Reversed?

There are no bad beers... only bad brewers. Just kidding. I don't have any clue.
I hope you get it figured out.
Cheers

Oxygen will stale the beer. It should be gradual. You keg anyway, so you should not have this as an issue after kegging the beer.

If the beer was under CO2 there is no way it is oxygenated. Possible a fruit fly got in a tap and contaminated the line and it got back to the keg... or you had a bug hiding in the keg and the beer soaked through the bit of dirt and exposed it...

If the beer was under CO2 there is no way it is oxygenated. Possible a fruit fly got in a tap and contaminated the line and it got back to the keg... or you had a bug hiding in the keg and the beer soaked through the bit of dirt and exposed it...

But in 3 different kegs?

Were t hey all on the same liquid line? If so that line is contaminated... I just had that problem. Kegged a batch that tasted great, put it where I had an IPA that had some funk going on(it was tasty, just not an IPA!) and forgot to sanitize the line and tap. Yup, my next keg had the same funk going on in 3 days. Made sure to drink it first then sanitized everything after a good run of BLC to clean stuff.

Ya i'd go with cleaning your draft lines. I even started boiling and spraying my gas lines with starsan a couple times a year. Hope you get it figured out before Sunday! Heeyyy aayyYYY AYYY AY!

Describe your kegging process. What is your beer in prior to being kegged and how are you moving it to the keg?

Back