Gonna start brewing 1 bbl batches, what size fermenter is needed for that size batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
Going to start brewing 1 barrel batches, what size fermenter, conical ideally, would be needed for a batch that big? Thanks

We boil ~56 gallons and end up with 48-49 in the fermentor. We use ~55 gallon plastic cylindroconicals. We routinely have krausen blowing through the lids due to no blowoff tubes. Use blowoff tubes and give yourself 5+ gallons of headspace. Consider seals to keep lids more air tight.

We boil ~56 gallons and end up with 48-49 in the fermentor. We use ~55 gallon plastic cylindroconicals. We routinely have krausen blowing through the lids due to no blowoff tubes. Use blowoff tubes and give yourself 5+ gallons of headspace. Consider seals to keep lids more air tight.

Kettle defoamer aka fermcap is a wonderful thing. Majorly reduces loss from blowoff. Even without fermcap if I ended up with 48-49 gallons post boil I'd yield quite a bit more than 1bbl after fermentation.... we use 42 gallon blichmanns at work (I hate them but not because of lack of headroom) which should be more than sufficient headroom for 1 bbl batches.

BTW it is fermentor not fermenter.

That is not a wholly settled question.

In fact, fermenter can mean either a vessel for fermentation OR the enzymes that cause fermentation.

Fermentor can only mean the vessel or apparatus used for fermentation.

But even that is just one opinion out there. To correct someone on their use either way is kind of silly.

Going to start brewing 1 barrel batches, what size fermenter, conical ideally, would be needed for a batch that big? Thanks

What is your plan for packaging? I've thought about this a dozen times, and building out and brewing on a 1 BBL system seems to be a non-issue if you have the $$$.

The problem is wtf do you do with 31 gallons of beer that needs packaging? Without building or buying a sanke washing station, you're in for a world of hurt with cornies and eye gouging torture with 12 oz bottles.

Back