Gone Snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
Tonight I am drinking some pretty good beers. However, tonight I am drinking them from a brandy snifter instead of a pint glass. IMHO, it's like night and day. Beer is just fantastic drinking from one these glasses.

Having a:
1. SN Bigfoot BW Ale 2007 - Really love it
2. Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale - Love it
3. DFH 60min IPA - Really love it

Snobish?

Anyone else gone beer snob?

I'm such a beer snob that I'll critique your choice of glasses. The snifter wasn't a bad choice for the barleywine and the IIPA, but...

If I were tied to classic bar-ware:
I'd have gone with a widemouthed chalice for the barleywine and a tulip glass for the IIPA. The tulip glass wouldn't have been bad for the IPA, but I'd have gone for an imperial pint glass.

If I had access to Sam Adams' new glass:
I'd have used it for the IIPA and the IPA.

Also, your order of tasting seems a bit off (assuming the numbers correspond to the order in which you sipped). For this "flight," you should've had them in exactly the reverse order that you listed (IPA first, then IIPA, and finish with the barleywine).

How's that for snobbery?

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm such a beer snob that I'll critique your choice of glasses. The snifter wasn't a bad choice for the barleywine and the IIPA, but...

If I were tied to classic bar-ware:
I'd have gone with a widemouthed chalice for the barleywine and a tulip glass for the IIPA. The tulip glass wouldn't have been bad for the IPA, but I'd have gone for an imperial pint glass.

If I had access to Sam Adams' new glass:
I'd have used it for the IIPA and the IPA.

Also, your order of tasting seems a bit off (assuming the numbers correspond to the order in which you sipped). For this "flight," you should've had them in exactly the reverse order that you listed (IPA first, then IIPA, and finish with the barleywine).

How's that for snobbery?

Nice, thanks.

The first was the Loose Cannon. Next, the Bigfoot. I am having the DFH right now. The snifter glass was perfect for the barleywine IMO. Not so bad for the IPA and IIPA.

My order may seem off as this was an "unscheduled flight". I have writen many notes about single malt scotch but never about beer. In fact, until I started home brewing, I just enjoyed beer from a tall pills glass. Chalk it up to ignorance.

Dankeschön Yuri

I am definitely bettersnob-esque. (Using words like that makes me one haha). I try keep the playing field level buy drinking PBR now and then, though.

Greg

yep im a snob. I even give my dad **** for frozen glasses.. I like red wine glasses better than sniffer's though personally.

Yeah, every time I'm at a bar with friends, and I want to order a beer I think how homebrewing has destroyed my ability to just drink a beer. I shrug it off, and order a PBR.

What's worse is when I get home, to my fridge full of IIPA, Blonde, IPA, ESB, Stout, Porter, Alt, Apfelwein, Helles (all homebrewed) and nothing sounds good to drink. Then I pick on on a whim, crack it open, and immediately taste some nuance that I don't like.

Yep, homebrewing took the fun right out of drinking alright.

NOT!

Homebrewing definetely killed my ability to go out and just have a beer with friends, except for my one friend that I have converted to the dark side of beer snobbery (insert evil laugh here)!!!..we will be at a college bar, such as tonight, that has Bells Winter and Bells HopSlam and immediately I am the ass asking the bartender if he knows the IBU's on the Hop Slam. Go figure

By these standards, I'm nothing but a plebeian, but I recently got called a snob by a friend for not wanting ice in my chardonnay. :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm a snob too. Since I cut back on beer drinking to lose weight, when I do drink, it's ONLY good stuff.

SWMBO dragged me to a Michael Buble concert last night and she wanted a beer. All they had was BMC & Shiner Bock. I bought her an 8 dollar Shiner Bock. I tasted it and went yuck. Good show though.

I drink mine almost exclusively from a set of 3 club-footed Lucifer goblets that the wife got me from GlobalBeer (she bought the last three---they don't carry them anymore, and I can't find them online anywhere...so I'd better not break them!) As seen here:

4914-stone10th.JPG

I love these glasses! They concentrate the aromas and really accentuate just about any beer. I don't buy the "traditional barware" associations, though. I've never really seen any benefit in an imperial pint glass, or even a regular pint glass, over a goblet. I'm sure arguments can be made for pilsner, tulip, pints, etc., but just about every beer I've had is better from the Lucifer goblet.

EdWort said:
SWMBO dragged me to a Michael Buble concert last night and she wanted a beer. All they had was BMC & Shiner Bock. I bought her an 8 dollar Shiner Bock. I tasted it and went yuck. Good show though.

Shiner Bock isn't horrible when that's all there is. But jebus help me if I were ever forced to sit through Michael Buble, live or otherwise, I'd be carrying a flask of cask-strength something. $8 BMC be damned, I'd be drinking away the pain with some spirits.

Snob, hell. A snob is some who does or does not do certain things in certain ways so that they can be seen doing it or not doing it in such a way. On the other hand, a connoisseur is someone who does things in a certain way because doing so helps them appreciate what they are doing just that much more.

You are not a snob. You are a connoisseur!

TL

no me. i can still swill bmc outta the 22oz can with the boys. i like good beer, but i also enjoy the 'beer is beer' comradery of the plebs..... :tank:

I'm a snob, and recently I've been totally spoiled. My roomie returned from Europe with an extensive variety of beer glasses, so I have no trouble matching to style. That being said, I'm also a total snob for PBR. It's the only cheap beer I ever buy.

Yep I am a beer snob. Always have been. not my fault I love a beer with flavor. Ever since I have been brewing beer, that has just taken the cake.

Yes it is early in the morning. and about to crack a Stout :)

Gonna be a great day Cheers :mug:

Back