Golden Promise and...? Help me choose an English hop for SMaSH bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breckenridge

Lurker
Reaction score
Title says it all. Doing a SMaSH bitter this weekend, have an unopened sack of Simpson's Golden Promise.

Did a partigyle of GP/Bramling Cross over the summer, and the bitter kicked quicker than any other keg I've done in two plus years. (Barley wine to be opened at Xmas)

Thinking something English but marmalade-y more that earthy or spicy. Ideas?

Northdown is also out, have some on tap already.

East Kent Goldings, which I get a distinct marmalade character from as opposed to the earthiness I get from Fuggles. They're both fantastic. Cheers!

Challenger is always good, also First Gold would be something if you didn't want to use EKG which would be an excellent choice.

If you're looking for a nontraditional english hop, I really liked Pilgrim. I tried it in a pale ale, but not by itself, so I can't give too much info on its properties but its pretty nice

Also, its not English, but the AU Summer hops are very marmalade like to me and aren't too much on AA so you won't end up with an IPA

Hmmm, more votes for EKG, but Challenger sounds interesting. Think I'll go for that one this time (no First Gold at my LHBS). Thanks for the ideas, all!

EKG is pretty standard. I tried Delta last year and it didn't stick around long. Delta is a cross between Cascade and Fuggles, so you get a Musty/Citrus/Earthy flavor from it. Only problem is it is pretty low AA, so you have to use a bit more than you may want.

Back