Going to Thunder Bay area next month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I are taking a short road trip along the north shore of Lake Superior in September. We'll be spending 3 days on the Canadian side, passing through Thunder Bay and staying near Rossport, ON.

What are some craft breweries in the area worth visiting? Also, I'd like to bring back some goodies that can't be found on my side of the border. I do like a good rye whisky, can someone recommend a good bottle I should bring back?

Cheers!

Not sure if Nickelbrook has made its way to Thunder Bay, but if so I recommend anything by them... especially Naughty Neighbour or Headstock. Their ESB is also delicious.

Just got back from the trip up north. Didn't have time to stop into any breweries in Thunder Bay, but did stop at a local LCBO store to pick up a bunch of cans to bring home. A few I really liked included 360 Ale from Sleeping Giant, and Mad Tom unfiltered IPA from Muskoka Brewing. Tried a Skull Rock oatmeal stout (Sleeping Giant), and thought it was a bit thin. I looked for the Nickelbrook, but didn't see it in the stores. Being government-operated, the LCBO stores were kind of different from liquor stores I'm used to. The only beer sold on 12-packs and cases was big national brews, like Molson, Labatt's, etc., which I can get here. Craft beer was all by the can, so I did a mix & match. No sampler packs.

On the way home, we stopped in at Voyageur Brewing in Grand Marais, MN. They only had 4 beers on tap, and the grapefruit IPA was very delicious. Their porter wasn't bad, but nothing special. Their IPA and Oktoberfest were off, lots of noticeable diacetyl. I couldn't even finish the Oktoberfest.

I didn't even know if they'd have Muskoka up there - most of their stuff is great. Love me a good Twice as Mad Tom or Detour any day! Mad Tom is a great beer too.

Back