Going to the Charlotte NC area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm heading to Belmont NC (near Charlotte) in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for some recommendations on where to go for beer/food any ideas for me?

I live in Charlotte (NoDa, oddly close to NoDa brewing)
Belmont is about 25min driving (on a good day) from NoDa.
It is however a dense area brewery wise:
NoDa brewing
Birdsong
Heist
Free Range Brewing
Legion Brewing (Plaza Midwood area)
[EDIT] I have to include Salud Beer Shop on the brewery list because they are brewing and serving their brews on tap.

also your choice of Video Game bar, Dog Bar, or a choice of awesome bottle shops.

Being in belmont I would probably recommend an afternoon excursion to the White Water Center, about 10 min from you. Its only 5$ to park and there are miles of trails for walking and biking as well tons of other attractions, a few of which are great bars with lots of local and regional beers.
That would be the best bet if you are into activities outside of drinking. Otherwise come to NoDa and Ill make you sample some homebrew.

Im rather partial to the NoDa area stuff(s) however I cant discount the 10 different breweries on South Blvd, hell I think more than half of those I havent even been to yet!

south end.jpg

Lenny Boy sounds like they have some interesting stuff on tap, never been there though.

As far as "interesting" brews go, I'd check out Farmhouse Brewing
http://www.freerangebrewing.com/#on-tap
I dont think their website is uptodate, however they normally have a gruit or other beers based off of local produce and ingredients they can acquire.

I personally was scarred by Lenny Boy so I cant advocate them too much (entirely a 1st world problem)

If you're taking the Mrs. http://www.ameliesfrenchbakery.com/ will win you some massive brownie points, just be prepared to wait.

you can't go wrong with dining in uptown - I'd recommend Mimosa for food.

Also if you've got time the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville is pretty cool if you're into wildlife.

Good choices, tonight is the NoDable release (a weekly one-off) at NoDa brewing and they are almost always pretty good!
You just missed Free Range's 1 yr birthday party on Saturday but they may have some cool kegs leftover from that!

Went to heist 1st, cramped seating outside ok beer nothing to write home about. Bird song was next, better beer they had the best IPA (made in Charlotte) that I had. Turns out Free range is closed Tuesday's so no luck there. We then made it to Noda I liked all of the beers there, the gose was nice and my wife like the wit.

We then went to sammys pub in Belmont decent burger and a good selection of beer had a few beers there, the wicked weed IPA was really tasty.

Yeah wicked weed has some great stuff and they're starting to distribute more widely lately as well.

Back