Going to attempt first partial mash, looking for rundown of equipment....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finally wanting to attempt my first partial-mash recipe. Just want a rundown on what additional equipment I need beyond what I have now (A normal extract brewer)

I'm looking for recommendations on mash tins or how much bigger of pots I might need. Thanks!

I have only just registered but I have a partial mash under my belt that went really well. You are going to need an extra pot, anywhere from 3-5 gallons, a grain bag/paint strainer bag, and some binder clips. That's all you really need to start working from your stove. A nicer electronic thermometer or floating thermometer could be handy too. I followed this tutorial on here to do my first PM. Try looking at your equipment versus the list there.

The only things I needed for my first partial mash that wouldn't be used in an extract brew is our pasta pot and large kitchen strainer. I mashed in the pot and then poured it through the strainer into my kettle. Works great. I did that for most of a year before I built a cooler mashtun.

I just started partial mashing also and I use a 12 qt pot as a mash tun - separate from my brew pot. It fits in my oven so that I can keep the temp steady for an hour. I use a big (24" x 24") bag to hold grains and a thermometer to check water temp.

5gal paint strainer bags work great for a grain bag and make it easy to strain/sparge

check out the sticky thread by Death Brewer in the beginners forum

Back