Going from homebrew to 10bbl direct fire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrillt

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience making this jump?

I am specifically looking for help on my firebox design, and wondering if I should go electric or direct fire for my 15bbl HLT?

I am getting tanks from sungood, pumps from cpe systems, glycol from pro refridgeration, and heat exchanger from thermaline.

I could use someone for sanity checks, because I am just making this up :)

Some questions i have:

Is this adequate?
Insulation on BK and HLT are High Temperature cotton,insulation width=50mm.

Should I go direct fire or electric on HLT? electric costs more here so i am a little scared. But I dont know anyone who has a directfire 20bbl setup, and they have never sold one, so I am not sure its a good idea.

Best,
Todd

View attachment 20bbl Jacket Unitank-Sungood.pdf

View attachment 20bbl Insulated Gas fire HLT-Sungood.pdf

View attachment 10bbl Insulated Mash tun with Mixer&Rakes-Sungood.pdf

View attachment 10bbl Insulated Gas fire Brew kettle&WP-Sungood.pdf

Will your building even have the capacity for an electric HLT? I know Stout does 10bbl systems in electric (that I presume use a 20bbl HLT), but it is going to use a lot of power, and that is just one more thing to deal with in your build out. If you do go electric, make sure that you have a timer on it so that you can heat it before you get in. Personally, I would probably go direct fire in your situation. Im doing steam. Its more upfront, but the time and energy savings makes sense to me.

You could ask over on Reddit.com/r/TheBrewery or ProBrewer, both are more geared towards commercial brewing.

Back