Going bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
On average what's the length that you can keep (longest) brew in the 2nd fermenter?

I can't ever see to get enough bottles and i was wondering the length i can keep it there..

thanks!

-J

jjasghar said:
On average what's the length that you can keep (longest) brew in the 2nd fermenter?

I can't ever see to get enough bottles and i was wondering the length i can keep it there..

thanks!

-J

If you did a clean transfer from primary, and you keep your temps under control, your beer will last as long in the secondary as it would in the bottle. Guess what i'm saying is, ther's no big rush.......:)

i've got ten gallons in the secondary that i brewed last december. they're both monster beers, but they look no worse for the wear... :D

i hope we bottle them soon......;)

Top off your secondary with some CO2, though, or oxidation becomes an issue. It's not as much of an issue in a bottle, due to bottle conditioning.

TL

If you rack while the fermentation has slowed but not stopped shouldn't there be enough activity to purge the small head space quick enough avoid oxidation?

go to sams and buy a few cases of the sam adams oktoberfest, then drink lots of oktoberfest and you ll have lots of extra bottles....mmm....

If the airlock remains on, I don't think oxidation becomes a worry.....unless you move it around, like say.....across country.

There are limits depending on style, IPAs and APAs should be aged just long enough to clear up, to much aging and all of those hops you put in start to fade. Many smaller beers are better younger, while bigger beers benefit greatly from extended stays in the secondary.

killian said:
If you rack while the fermentation has slowed but not stopped shouldn't there be enough activity to purge the small head space quick enough avoid oxidation?

There are some reasons you dont want to do that, like a diacetyl rest and a possible stuck fermentation (which isn't likely).

However, if you don't already have a CO2 tank, and you don't want to buy one (and, with the cost, I can understand why), then you can rack a little early, and take care of it that way. Sure.

TL

Just keep your airlock from drying out (and letting oxygen & wild yeasts in).
I had a stout in the carboy for 2 years (almost fogotten), when I finally got around to it, it was nasty dark malt vinegar...

Back