Going Backward?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Currently using a BrewPI setup to control SS Brewtech Chronicals but I just ordered a pair of fully loaded Spike CF-10s. Obviously the temp control kit comes with Inkbird-type controllers. I'm debating whether its really worth the automation. Anyone else go "backward?"

I have a fermentation chamber which is controlled by Node-Red and a few temp sensors, or can be controlled by any of my Tilt hydrometers. I use this for SS Brew Buckets.

But recently I installed a couple Brewers Hardware 20g jacketed insulated unitanks that are connected to a 4 zone glycol chiller with its own temp control. It's pretty easy to set-it-and-forget-it. It does it's own temp control, but obviously I can't remotely change temperatures to crash or ramp to different schedules. I put my Tilts in those fermentors for temp/gravity tracking, but it has no interface to change temps...

Both of the CF10s I ordered I did so without their temperature control kit. I simply purchased the chill coils, and lines, so that I could connect them to a glycol chiller.

I'm currently using the IceMaster Max2 chiller, which includes everything except the lines to connect to the fermenter (includes sensors, pumps, controllers). I'm also looking at getting a BH 15 gallon jacketed conical and will probably change from the Max2 to the Max4 chiller (IF someone would buy my Max2 it would be an easier decision ;)).

@matt_m If you already have the hardware to use with your desired setup, then I would get Spike to remove the complete temperature kit, adding just the chill coil and fittings to connect tubing to it (and your chiller). I worked with one of the Spike CS people when I was getting ready to order the two CF10 units. Very helpful and did a full BOM for me where I just had to pull the trigger on it.

I did end up sticking with the BrewPi setup after realizing it wasn't going to take as much rework as I was originally thinking.

However I did get the controllers from Spike. You can order the pieces separate, it effectively saves $1. I'll take 2 Inkbirds for $2. Haven't decided whether I'll keep them or sell them and make a few bucks back. I should have worked with Spike to review my order though. Ended up leaving off the bracing shelves. I immediately reordered but since they are about a week for fulfillment and shipping takes a few days I won't be able to brew this weekend.

I ordered the extended shelves along with the short leg extensions (plus wheels) with mine. Since I need to move the conical getting filled from the fermenting room into the brewing area (garage) it made sense to do that. With the leg extensions I have room to make dropping the yeast a lot easier.

Hope you remembered the racking arms. ;)

Yep remembered those. I also ordered better sample valves that look like they won't be here in time for the weekend but I could use the Spike ones for the first batch if I hadn't forgotten the shelves.

I've replaced the Spike sample valves with ones from Brewers Hardware a while back. The ones that you can attach the pigtails to (not their cheaper versions). If I end up with the BH conical I plan to do their upgrade to the one with the pigtail as well. Since I carbonate in conical now.

That reminds me, did you get one of the carb stone setups too? It actually works really well. I know they say "less than 24 hours" for time to carbonate, but I give my batches at least 2-3 days with the stone active.

Yep got the carb stone which I plan to use for oxygen as well. I’ll probably add a spunding valve to the process as well to jump start carbonation naturally.

I ordered a pair of the Brew Hardware valves plus one pigtail.

They are. I like them better than even the Blowtie (1 or 2) that I also have. Direct connect to a 1.5" TC ferrule is one of the things. It's also a complete unit ready for use, unlike the one Blichmann makes (where you need to run tubing from the barb to a container). Yes, it's not the cheapest type out there, but I have two now and (as mentioned) will be looking to get more as I add conical fermenters. Unless some other company comes up with a unit that has the same features/functionality.

Back