Going back to extract for 1 batch after 5 years of AG Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
HAHA so i feel like a total n00b asking this but I haven't brewed an extract batch in like 5 years since going AG and am going to be brewing one this coming weekend. Long story short this is basically for a friend of mine who bought all the ingredients and is giving me some beer to brew it for him. The one thing I cant remember is when doing a full boil and steeping the grains, do I steep in like 2-3 gallons and then fill up to the 6.25 gallon mark or can I just steep the grains in the 6.25 gallons to start. Let me know. Thanks!!

I too did an extract batch recently after a long stretch of all grain, mostly because I wanted beer and didn't have a lot of time to brew. I just steeped in my full boil volume and it was fine.

In fact, possibly because this was the first extract recipe I've ever done with a full boil, or possibly because I've refined many of my other techniques such as pitching rates, oxygenation, etc, the batch came out better than I recall any previous extract batches. The "extract twang" that drove me away from extract was not present.

Ha! So funny I was in the same boat this weekend and could hardly remember how to do extract. Lucky for me he only had a 5 gallon pot so we did a partial boil.
Sorry I'm no help...

Steep in full volume. think of it as a BIAB. add last part of extract at last 15 to prevent caramelization. If you remember extracts always come out darker than expected.

I'm an 18+ year extract noob....

In all of my batches I steep grains.
All are steeped in the 6 to 6.5 gallons which I start with...and are put in when the water is 160 to 170 deg f.

It is the same if your doing 1.5 gallons or any other quantity of initial starting water. Steeping is steeping...never above 170 deg. f.

I may go to AG someday but since I switched to kegs I'm getting really good beer...

I'm a rookie and I've been doing steeps on full boils. I Brought this up in a different post and yooper said something about that much water can do something with ph levels and cause tannins.

Not sure what all that means yet though.

NO SUCH THING! sounds like you got your process down right! A buddy kegs his extract brews too, his IPA is better than my all grain. he just nails his extract process with late additions of extract and adapted hop additions.

Thanks so much guys. Im just gonna steep in the full amount. Its an RIS that I had planned on doing half the LME at boil half at 15 mins. Hopefully that comes out ok. Im on a full electric rig with pretty much spot on ferm temp control so im hoping this will be my best extract ever haha

In all of my batches I steep grains.
All are steeped in the 6 to 6.5 gallons which I start with...and are put in when the water is 160 to 170 deg f.

It is the same if your doing 1.5 gallons or any other quantity of initial starting water. Steeping is steeping...never above 170 deg. f.

I may go to AG someday but since I switched to kegs I'm getting really good beer...

I wasnt calling extract brewers noobs at all! I was just saying I feel like a noob asking such a basic question :( Hope I didnt offend! Some of the best beers I have ever had have been extracts

You"ll be good with half of extract at last 15, should get good hop utilization in bitter & flavor addition. LOL never heard anyone call them selves a 18+ year extract noob! LOL He's got a sense of humor!

NO SUCH THING! sounds like you got your process down right! A buddy kegs his extract brews too, his IPA is better than my all grain. he just nails his extract process with late additions of extract and adapted hop additions.

...I learned about late additions in the past year. So far it that and kegging have turned my "blah" bottled HB into "wow" you made that?

Just did an IPA including late addition extract, lots of brewing hops, and a good dose of secondary dry hopping...just kegged last week so only a sneek sample but....ready to share this Christmas season!!!

I like combining different extracts & hops,depending on what style I'm persuing. Late extract & late hop additions make for lighter colors & cleaner flavors that are pretty darn good. I've got the Burton water salts in for my V2 of the Burton ale I've got bottled now. Extract can be good when you have a good process. And a good recipe,of course.

It is better to steep in a lower volume. Steeping in a large ratio of water/grain can potentially cause astringency, according to the Grand Master IV BCJP judge and pro brewer who taught my class last night.

Back