Going All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt31

Reaction score
So SWMBO got me a Mr. Beer for my thirty first birthday; I've brewed two batches and a cider, and now i'm thinking I want to go all grain. My only real question is do you save money by cobbling together your own setup, or would I be better served purchasing one ready to go?

I just built a 10 gallon system and it cost me $180... the same (but cheaper built) system on morebeer.com was $230. You can save a bit, and use that money to add cool stuff like through the wall digital therms and such!

Pol

I could build a 5 gallon system for about $85. Both coolers, bulkheads, false bottom and sparger... That is pretty cheap!

Pol

One other thing, is a sparge arm a necessity? I ask because I saw a webpage with a person going through the process and I got the impression that he wasn't using one.

You'd probably be best served by doing a couple of extract batches first. You can get yourself a started in the AG direction by buying a kettle that's AT LEAST 8 gallons, a propane burner and a wort chiller.

You'll need that for AG anyway and a couple of extract batches will really help you out with getting the process down.

And it's MUCH cheaper to build your own if you have even the slightest aptitude for putting things together.

Buying a standard issue homebrew kit will get you 70% there and not cost any more than if you piece-meal the necessary items.

Once you have the brew essetials, search these threads for MLT (Mash Lauter Tun). You'll find all kinds of DIY methods for building a mash tun (necessary for AG).

My guess is that you can get the essentials (including primary bucket, carboy, home made mash tun and other items) for less than $200.

Most importantly, spend some time on this forunm and learn first.

Brew on baby . . . . .:mug:

You do NOT need a sparge arm... place the sparge water hose into a bowl placed on top of the grain bed... that will dampen the flow so that you do not get channeling. I used it before, worked great, no need for a sparge arm to fly sparge.

Pol

I appreciate all of the replies, I just wanted to go ahead and jump in because I figure AG is where i'll probably end up with this homebrew thing anyway.

My first brew ever was an all grain brew with equipment that I built myself... it is possible, it is fun, and you have alot of support here.

Pol

So I am jumping to all grain as soon as the tax man gives me my money. I am setting up a 10 gal cooler set-up. My question is: Where is everyone getting their coolers from and what kind are they using? I have heard different opinions about different brands and thought that I would ask you all to get yours.

Cheers

Hey, I'll reiterate on the sparge arm... you do not need, it is a luxury. I have done 2 AG's now and hit 72-75% efficiency by pouring my own sparge water in. I use a 14 inch lid from one of my boiling pots and pour the water on it while holding over my mash, this makes the water spread out and land gently and avoid channeling.

If you like tinkering it's more satisfying putting your own together.
I like the satisfaction of thinking I made that and it cost me nothing or very little.

Some things you probably will have to buy though.

Good luck.

I bought (2) Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers at Ace online, with FREE shipping to thier store nearest you. They were 49.95 each. You can find them slightly cheaper online at other stores, but be ready to pay alot of shipping. I built a 10 gallon AG setup just recently from top to bottom, with through the wall digital thermometers and ball valves for $220. That is sparge arm included...

Pol

WOP31... you live in Indiana... I live up in Fort Wayne, work out of Indy... welcome

Wal-Mart was recently selling Coleman XTreme 52-quart coolers for $21. Great deal, and a kick-ass cooler.

seefresh said:
Hey, I'll reiterate on the sparge arm... you do not need, it is a luxury. I have done 2 AG's now and hit 72-75% efficiency by pouring my own sparge water in. I use a 14 inch lid from one of my boiling pots and pour the water on it while holding over my mash, this makes the water spread out and land gently and avoid channeling.

Why not just take the leap right to batch sparging if you're not going to be really particular with your rinse coverage? At least the stirring ensures decent rinsing.

Bobby_M said:
Why not just take the leap right to batch sparging if you're not going to be really particular with your rinse coverage? At least the stirring ensures decent rinsing.

Not sure what batch sparging is, I'll look that up now. I went with what I knew. I got real good coverage, I can tell because of the my efficiency, I just moved around as a splattered the water and did it slowly.

Definitely gonna look up batch sparging, still new at this game ;)

... sorry for the hijack

Pol I am down in Bloomington. how did you do the through wall thermometers? Did you pick up any of your equipment at Greatfermentations? A set-up like you did is what I am looking to do if this deal i got with two 1/2 barrels falls through. I would be setting up a cooler mash tun at least. And have keg HLT.

Cheers

I bought the 52 quart coleman at Walmart for the$21, and then later in the week in a different city saw it for $16. Almost got another on just for grins. Did my first all grain batch in it about a week and a half ago. Did the batch sparge method with a 20" braid in the bottom of the cooler. It went so well and I enjoyed it so much, I don't think I'll ever go back to extracts. I am going to rack my first all grain to secondary this weekend and try an all grain barley wine and pitch it on this yeast cake. I too received a Mr. Beer last year and then went to some extract batches with steeping grains. The last couple of steeped grain batches, I mashed rather than steeped the grains to get some practice.

I enjoyed my first AG batch also but the one PIA is cleaning out the cooler and disposing of the spent grains. I'm sure it will be better when the weather turns so hosing it out won't be so nasty cold.

I experienced the same problem with my first all grain batch. Thats one thing I did not plan for...what the hell am I supposed to do with these f**kn grains! I ended up just trash bagging them and tossing them in the trash can as I do not have a compost pile like so many recommend.

Hey Bobby when can we expect the brewing AG batch video?

Must one have a compost pile??

Why not just chuck them out on the lawn? If you live in a condo/apt, then that's another story...

Save some grain and make bread, use the rest as compost... :off:

The thermometers, after MUCH deliberation, look like they are going to be affixed using a small rubber stopper, through a small hole in the sidewall of the cooler. The stoppers will initially be solid, then drilled to a small diameter in order to allow the temp probe to "pierce" through it. Short of spending $55 for a commercial through the wall bulkhead and therm... that is the best solution as I have seen it.

I am also picking up supplies today, and building today, a 3 tier system for my coolers and boiling kettle. Now I can brew outside and in the garage with ease!!! No more spills on the hardwood!!!!

Pol

Latest posts

Back