Going all grain. What equipment do i need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
I currently brew 5 gallon extract brews on my stove. I've got all the usual starter brew equipment including a wort chiller. What will I need to get a basic all grain set up going?

I'm glad you asked this question because I want to start as well. Does it matter if your mash tun is rectangle or circle? Is the HLT necessary? I was going to get 10 gallon coolers in case I want to upgrade later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is always a nice display of a system that works perfectly well:
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

The pot/keggle could be replaced by any other pot(s) that holds your liquid amounts, and I actually have an electric stove that can boil 7+ gallons so I don't use a burner at this point.

All you really need is a pot and 5 gallon paint strainer bag. (BIAB)
Where you go from there is up to you.
For a gravity system you will need a pot to heat your strike water, a mash tun, and if you don't get a second boil pot you can collect first runnings in a bucket then after adding your sparge water to the tun, pour the wort into the now empty pot.

I made my rig that has a 10 gallon pot on a turkey fryer burner on the top tier. This drains into my Rubbermaid beverage cooler tun on the middle tier. This drains into the boil kettle on a Bayou Classics SP10 burner. The BK is high enough to drain into my fermenter on the floor.
IMG_5399-1.jpg

I have since turned it around so the BK is near the sink for cooling the wort.

Tim, I would take a short drive down to Adventures in Homebrewing if you haven't yet. They have everything you need. It's on Van Born just east of Telegraph. They're very helpful.

I'm glad you asked this question because I want to start as well. Does it matter if your mash tun is rectangle or circle? Is the HLT necessary? I was going to get 10 gallon coolers in case I want to upgrade later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Circular or rectangular is a matter of personal preference. I used a circular beverage cooler and a stainless water heater connector hose in lieu of constructing a manifold. I get between 75-80% efficiency with this setup. The rectangular option will pretty much require you to construct a manifold which I am just too lazy to do. There are several threads here and other places on line with instructions on how to do that.

Yea I live about 1 minute from adventures. I just wanted to get a better idea of exactly what I'll need and then I can price it out.

Ok. I have their 10 gal. Igloo with the false bottom. There are cheaper ways but this one works good and holds temp very well. I've only done 3 all grain batches so far but I didn't find it real difficult compared with extract/partial grain. I use 2 brew pots, 1 for the boil and the other for the hlt and just one propane burner. I just batch sparge using a plastic pitcher with measurements on the side to transfer it to the mash tun. I'll probably try fly sparging further down the road.

Yea I live about 1 minute from adventures. I just wanted to get a better idea of exactly what I'll need and then I can price it out.

Need? or just want? Need is a pot big enough for the volume of water and a way to separate the grains from the wort at the end of the mash. That's all it takes. I've used a 5 gallon pot, a paint strainer bag and that's all it took. I could only do a 2 1/2 gallon batch because I needed room for the boil off and the hot break.

Latest posts

Back