Gobble, Gobble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
The turkey hunting was lousy in SE Oklahoma this weekend. And all of OK from what I hear.

We hunted hard for a day and a half. We heard one hen yelp and I think we heard a gobble.

The wind was brutal, cold and loud. Even if the turkey had been moving around and calling we would have had to be right on top of them to hear them.

Oh well, I caught couple of fish and a couple of good buzzes. It was a good weekend all together.

Anyone else already go or going to go turkey hunting this spring?

My Dad and I used to go a lot on some land we own in VA but I never did more than shoot at a couple. We killed more deer than we saw turkeys (Fall season, obviously). This week we had 3 turkeys walk through the back yard on consecutive days (and I live in a subdivision and sold my bow a couple years ago :mad:).

Baron von BeeGee said:
My Dad and I used to go a lot on some land we own in VA but I never did more than shoot at a couple. We killed more deer than we saw turkeys (Fall season, obviously). This week we had 3 turkeys walk through the back yard on consecutive days (and I live in a subdivision and sold my bow a couple years ago :mad:).

that's too bad, cause you'd be the man if you got one with your bow.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
That's what I was thinking. Especially if I just muted the tv, put down my beer, opened the window, and nailed one. The same could be said for the deer that are decimating my landscaping.

We have 6 mini-seasons that run from Wednesday thru Sunday starting in mid April thru mid May. You apply for a permit within a specific zone and request a specific mini-season. Some years you don't get a tag. I just hope the weather is decent. They are talking 4-7 inches of snow for tomorrow night :mad:

I go turkey hunting every year just before Thanksgiving. It's a great tradition that I've enjoyed for years and have enjoyed with my son. Some day he might do the same with his son. It starts with planning for the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I start getting everything ready for the big day cause it starts early in the morning. I'd like to be able to do it here where I live, but we only have deer running around here.

Anyway, we get up very early on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and head out. Our first stop is McDonald's for a quick breakfast and some hot black coffee, and then it's back on the road to find a bird for Thanksgiving.

It's pretty cold where we go, so proper clothing is very important. Lucky for me, we had a Cabela's open up recently, so it's been great to head down there to shop for gear. I can get lost in there for hours. This year, I picked up some great gloves which came in very handy on this day, as it took quite a while to hunt around in the big freezer section at Costco to find the perfect turkey for Thanksgiving. :D

Seriously, I envy the privilege of hunting. It's one activity SWMBO can't stand. Fishing is OK, but hunting is not. Her folks have a flock of turkeys out at their Smokey Mountain cabin every year and I could pick them off from the deck like I could deer from my balcony here in Austin.

Have fun this year Billy!

Thanks, I'm going to!

We've already moved on to deer by Thanksgiving, but I've always thought it would be cool to harvest the Turkey day turkey.

I've been here 2 1/2 years and haven't seen or heard a single turkey. Hunters keep coming by during the season, but nada. Pheasant & quail are in short supply as well. Although with quail it varies a lot year-to-year. Between the farmers & the loggers, ain't much habitat left.

I'm told the hunting was great 30 years ago and people still do ok on elk.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:

I can't find the video (I'm at work:mad: ) but google "bowhunting Turkey". There is a video out there that demonstrates a special hunting blade for gobblers. Takes the head off clean. No need to be able to hit the neck dead center. An inch or two on either side actually produces the best result..........

fretman124 said:
I can't find the video (I'm at work:mad: ) but google "bowhunting Turkey". There is a video out there that demonstrates a special hunting blade for gobblers. Takes the head off clean. No need to be able to hit the neck dead center. An inch or two on either side actually produces the best result..........

Yep, the turkey terminator. They came a couple of years ago to hit our law enforcement guys up about whether it would be legal in OK. I checked out the videos then. Pretty cool.

I know a guy who claims he cut off a beard with one. I'm thinking that was a pretty low shot.

Back