Glycol chilling FastFerment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattym5

Reaction score
I recently completed a DIY glycol chiller build with an air conditioner and cooler. I did this because I had pretty much all the parts lying around, minus the glycol. My intent is to get rid of my full sized fridge that I use for fermentation/cold crashing because it's huge and is on the fritz.

My question is, how do you suggest utilizing a glycol chiller to chill the FastFerment? I can't justify dropping the cash for a new conical right at this moment so I'm looking for something to get me through for now.

I have the insulated jacket/bag for the FastFerment and use this for heating with great success. My thought would be to simply run tubing from the glycol pump into the insulated bag and maybe wrap around the fermenter as best as possible and then return back to the chiller. Obviously this wouldn't be the most efficient because the tubing wouldn't be submerged in the wort like SS chiller coil would be, but I wouldn't have to buy a chiller coil and wouldn't have to figure out how to make that work in the FastFerment. Do you think this setup would work well enough? What kind of tubing would I use to get the most heat/cold transfer?

Thanks!

Back