Glycol chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My new glycol chiller showed up this week. Looking forward to using it. In preparation, I read through all the documentation that came with it, including the instructions and technical data sheet found on morebeer.com. However, I do have a question that wasn't discussed in any of that documentation.

Occasionally, we'll go 4-6 weeks without brewing. In that time that we don't have anything fermenting, should the chiller be powered off?

If/when it's powered off, is it ok to leave the glycol solution in the reservoir or should that be taken out?

Im sure more questions will arise as these are answere . Thanks in advance

Yes, power it off unless you like paying higher electric bills.

I have a Penguin. I just turn it off, and leave the glycol solution in the tank. Over time, the water will evaporate, but you just need to keep an eye on it.

Yes, power it off unless you like paying higher electric bills.

I have a Penguin. I just turn it off, and leave the glycol solution in the tank. Over time, the water will evaporate, but you just need to keep an eye on it.
Ha. Didn't even think about the electricity part. Makes sense. Thanks!

Back