Glycol chiller and counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is TC? I have the temp on the fermenter at 68 as target. But it never reached. However, the chiller is now at 68. It is running pretty good now. But fermenter temp has six more degrees. Will the target temp tell the chiller to turn on? It stopped again. Its temp is 66 degrees. But fermenter 77.3. It seems to be coming down. How long does the tank last? It seems that it didnt last at all.
Its temperature controller. If you have the glycol temp set to 68 it’s going to take forever to lower the fermenter temp. Change the temp controller setting for glycol lower!

I am a she. And actually, the chiller gives me a bit of a hard time. I had it at about 68. It isnt running so I am guessing it is set ok. And fermenter slowly coming down.
It stopped again and the temperature is going up on the chiller. It is set at 68. I dont know what else to do. THe tank is full.

I am a she. And actually, the chiller gives me a bit of a hard time. I had it at about 68. It isnt running so I am guessing it is set ok. And fermenter slowly coming down.

Oops , my apologies. What is your temp set to on your glycol chiller?

What is the temp set to on your fv ?

Its temperature controller. If you have the glycol temp set to 68 it’s going to take forever to lower the fermenter temp. Change the temp controller setting for glycol lower!
Ok, will do that now. But the temperature is rising and the chiller is not running. Frustrating.

Oops , my apologies. What is your temp set to on your glycol chiller?

What is the temp set to on your fv ?
I set the temp on chiller to about 56. The temp on the fermenter is set to 68. The chiller is running again.

Once the fermenter reaches the target temperature, should I then put the chiller target at 70 degrees as well?

I set the temp on chiller to about 56. The temp on the fermenter is set to 68. The chiller is running again.
Set it to 45!
the chiller only runs to maintain the glycol temp to what you set it to. The controller for the fermenter, providing you have the probe in there, reads the fermenter temp and pumps the super cold glycol through the coil to remove heat. That pump is probably almost silent.

Last edited:
NO ! You want that to stay cold. Its not pumping constantly into the fermenter. Only when needed.
Ok. Put it down even more. Tomorrow I am going to make the San Francisco Porter then a dark lager. I have got to get the fermenting down so my lager will chill correctly. You have been a big help!
THe temp is 74. a few more degrees and I can add the yeast. This is the Humpty Dumpty English Bitter beer. Well, that is what it was supposed to be. I will hook up the other fermenter tomorrow to the chiller. Hopefully it will run smoother. Hopefully I won't make same mistakes. I have a tasting party in two week. :)

No worries , this is expected when using new equipment. You'll be fine and get the hang of it in no time. Inkbird is the temp controller, its a brand.
No, the fermenter comes with a box that is wireless. I was able to use an app and the brew walked through it with the app giving a beep when next stage was needed. QUite fun.

My temp is 1.4 degrees away for me to pitch yeast. I even have ac on 66 and it is still taking forever. But almost.
Thank you for your help. I am excited about my new equipment. Wrote down what I forgot to do for next beer. Stupid things that made big headaches. I really want this beer to come out good. I should have made this one second. BUt I also want the porter to be good. We shall see. Great recipes.

I run my chiller on brew day through my jacketed fermenter and take it down to 45 before switching over to my plate chiller. This I run water through one side and use the glycol to reduce the water temp. The water runs through my counter flow chiller to cool the wort. I use the discharge water to go into my HLT for clean up later. Take wort to within 15 degrees of pitch and send to cold fermenter where it drops quickly. This limits the rise in glycol temp and makes my 20 - 30 gal batches hit temp quickly.

Latest posts

Back