Gluten sensitivty- or malto-Dextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
The worst triggers for my Gluten probs are Modified Food Starch and Malto-dextrin. And soy sauce made with wheat, that has 40% more Carbs than wheat free SS. And another baddie is corn tortills made with amylase, but I can pig ouit on one brand that is not.

I'm wondering if my probs might be related to the 'mashing' that happens to bread while the yeast is raising the dough? Low temps, but warm and moist. Does conversion even happen?

And there is a current unproven idea that some starches can cause health problems, basically un-mashed or de-mashed are better for us. Look up <resistance starches> . Seems refrigerating cooked potatoes or pasta makes changes, that explains my de-mash prhaseology. .

Am I good with Corona because it has no gluten, or because it has no dextrins? (by the way, Corona tests Gluten Free, cheapest GF beer on the shelf).

I'm wondering whether it is possible to mash ALL the dextrins out of a batch?

While I have doubts about dextrines bieng common causes of celiac like issues...everyone is diffrent.

You can brew a beer with very few residual dextrines by adding an agressive glucoamylase to your beer.

You could add AMG300 during the mash and do a very long mash (120 min). This will reduce most of the starches into fermentable sugars that will be consumed by the yeast.

Or you could add beano to your beer during fermentation.

Using a highly atenuative yeast will also help reduce the level of di and tri schacarides left in your beer.

While these things will make your beer lower in dextrine content, they will not improve its quality, or make it gluten free. It will still be unsafe for a celiac to consume (just like corona).

The worst triggers for my Gluten probs are Modified Food Starch and Malto-dextrin. And soy sauce made with wheat, that has 40% more Carbs than wheat free SS. And another baddie is corn tortills made with amylase, but I can pig ouit on one brand that is not.

I'm wondering if my probs might be related to the 'mashing' that happens to bread while the yeast is raising the dough? Low temps, but warm and moist. Does conversion even happen?

And there is a current unproven idea that some starches can cause health problems, basically un-mashed or de-mashed are better for us. Look up <resistance starches> . Seems refrigerating cooked potatoes or pasta makes changes, that explains my de-mash prhaseology. .

Am I good with Corona because it has no gluten, or because it has no dextrins? (by the way, Corona tests Gluten Free, cheapest GF beer on the shelf).

I'm wondering whether it is possible to mash ALL the dextrins out of a batch?

Are you absolutely certain you sensitivity is Gluten vs. specific carbohydrates (e.g. FODMAPS)? FODMAPs and gluten frequently occur in the same foods and a FODMAP-sensitivity can be misdiagnosed as gluten-sensitivity.

In either case, Maltodextrin (even when derived from wheat & labeled as such) is either gluten-free or exceedingly low in any wheat proteins. It's also not likely to trip up those with a FODMAP sensitivity, so you may have something else going on.

All of the triggers you list are carbohydrate related vs. protein (gluten).

Latest posts

Back