Gluten Free With Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike240z

Reaction score
A beer loving friend just became gluten intolerant. So, I’m making my first attempt at GF brewing. My first attempt is an extract kit from Morebeer (Low Gluten American Pale Ale). It does include a partial mash with 1 LB of Crystal 40. They say it produces a non measurable amount of the enzyme responsible for the gluten intolerance. Does anyone have experience adding grain in this fashion? Any negative effects to the GF drinker?

I don't have any experience with this kit or with trying to brew for somebody who is gluten intolerant, but the name of this kit says it's low gluten, not gluten free.

Depending on how gluten intolerant your friend is, that may make a big difference. I know somebody with celiac disease, and he'd have problems with this, but other people with a lesser degree of gluten intolerance may be ankle too drink it.

Just because the kit claims that the enzyme is a "non measurable amount," doesn't mean someone should rely on that claim. It would be bad if your friend had a reaction to the beer. It would depend on the person's threshold of intolerance to the enzyme. I have a few friends and a family member who have celiac. I wouldn't serve anything other than a zero-gluten beer to them.

"Low gluten" sounds to me like it's catering to the non-celiac crowd who just choose to limit their intake of gluten. Low and no-gluten is a big marketing thing right now.

+1 on the above responses. Also, i believe gluten is a protein, not an enzyme. There are chemists that post on here from time and describe in more detail. If someone reacts to the gluten protein, best to use only ingredients that don’t have it to start with .

Another aspect I find is often over-looked when home brewers attempt GF beers for friends/family is cross contamination. Milling grains, even GF ones, is pretty risky when done with the same mill used for barley. Even boilers or mash tubs. Just the smallest amount of gluten can cause a reaction in some people. As mentioned before, it’s all a case by case basis, so you will have to see what your friends sensitivty is.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually held off waiting for input. Guess I won’t be brewing “low gluten” beer! Great resource.

I would add that even if a celiac has no dicernable reaction, it doesnt mean that their small intestine is not getting damaged.

I would add that even if a celiac has no dicernable reaction, it doesnt mean that their small intestine is not getting damaged.

I could eat the contents of an entire bakery and have no reaction, but my bloodwork would say otherwise.

I started homebrewing 2 years before being diagnosed with Celiacs. Every batch I have ever brewed has been at least gluten reduced with clarity ferm. After I was diagnosed with celiac, and doing a better job at cutting gluten out of my diet, I now notice the effects of gluten much easier. Commercial and my own gluten reduced Homebrew now bother me...or I feel better so I notice the smaller effects of even a very small amount of gluten. I have been brewing exclusively gluten free now for a year. The beer is not as good as gluten reduced...but I can drink it...and commercial examples like from Glutenberg give me hope.

If you asked me 2 years ago I would have said Gluten Reduced beer is great, and fine for gluten intolerant people. But back then I was also eating the occasional McDonalds cheeseburger and feeling much worse then I do now on my gluten free, not gluten reduced diet.

Agree with the above comments. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of sorghum syrup beers though. You can make really good beer, and a simple process with limited gear makes cross contamination less of a risk.

Latest posts

Back