Gluten Free Cider Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolmatt

Reaction score
Hi there, me and my friends are brewing our own cider that we bought from wilkinsons - here is a link to the product (http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/home-b...=cider&VBMTC=c8b91f004a13ad797c6520b64d835880)

I am a coeliac and am wondering if this product will be gluten free when we have finished brewing it. On the back of the tin, the ingredients read: Concentrated Apple Juice, Barley Malt Extract, Natural Flavouring and Yeast. It says 'Contains: gluten' underneath, however I have heard that during brewing process the gluten is removed. I have also never heard of a non gluten free cider!

If someone could help me find out if this product will be gluten free at the end of the brewing process then it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

Hey man. It says it contains gluten. It has Barley Malt in it. So Unfortunately, this is not suitable for Coeliacs. If you have a Morrisons near you, check out theirs. Check out your local homebrew shop, or check out some online. It's very strange though, I have never seen a cider with malt in it...

I have never heard of a cider that was not gluten free either but you just found it. That barley malt extract is all you need to know.

That's not cider. I don't know what it is--but cider by definition is fruit juice and doesn't have grains in it. It sounds like a fake braggot.

Also, if it says it contains gluten it does contain gluten and you cannot remove gluten during the brewing process. If we could--this forum would be pointless. If you are new to celiac you should probably read up on it some to familiarize yourself with gluten, what it is (i.e. barley) and how to avoid it.

I should add...if you want to brew cider you can do so quite effectively and easily (and cheaply) by just buying apple juice and adding yeast. Check out the cider forum for some good recipes.

I agree with the above. Although there's some discussion about clarity ferm, I personally don't trust it, and it is too easy to make real hard cider to bother with. Although there is a place for ciders with malt in them (I think Graff is the term), and you could make such a thing using something like sorghum extract, 'good' cider is generally made from 100% juice.

I've made hard cider a couple times now. It is pretty easy, you can make something very good by just pouring 5 gallons of preservative free apple juice into your fermenter, then adding the yeast (sugar can be added as well if you want it ridiculously strong).

cheers guys, just bought 19 bottles of apple juice and a load of sugar so i'm all set haha

Cool. Your best place to buy juice in bulk is actually Lidl I have found. I think it is something like 80p a carton for apple juice. Maybe less. And they never question it as some other places stupidly do.

Back