Glosan & I-O-Safe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotodogboy

Reaction score
I posted this question in Eq and Sanitization but didn't get the answers I was hoping for. I am looking for people with personal experience with these products. Thanks in advance for your help.

My local Brew Supply has these two for cleaning and sanitizing. I have been using Super Grunge Cleaner and BTF Iodophor. Any thoughts or suggestions on which cleaners and sanitizers are the most economical and efficient.

If you mean IO Star, I haven't used it personally, but it's supposed to be pretty much the same thing as Iodophor. It's an iodine-based nonfoaming no-rinse sanitizer. Charley Talley basically said it was meant to attract the foam-fearing demographic.

I've never even heard of Glosan.

I don't know what answers you are hoping for..It's not clear by this post either...

Iodophor is one of the two fda certified sanitizers commonly used for homebrewing and alongside starsan are the two most popular...and most used on here...if you search for either starsan or iodophor you will find hundreds of threads on it.

As to cleansers the most economical to clean with is standard unscented oxyclean or whatever generic brand you find..again there is a ton of threads on that as well. Never heard of GLosan.

There's also a sticky at the top of the equipment and Sanitization section called "what cleaners and sanitizers are used?" With a lot more info..

There's also this thread as well with plenty of info on iodophor and starsan and links to a podcast on them.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

So I just stumbled upon this and not sure if you're still looking for experiences with these products. I'm guessing you live in the Seattle area. My local brew show (Larry's) carries both of these and I've been using them for about 8 years. I use 2 tbsp of glosan/5 gallons (a touch more for my 6 gallon carboys). Just let it sit for 30 minutes to over night. Works awesome at cleaning. The I-O Safe - I've got a gallon jug of that. Same amounts. 2 tbsp/5 gallons. They told me at Larry's that you can use it 1 tbsp/5 gallons if you want a no-rinse solution. It's an iodine-based sterilizer.

BTW, I also use glosan to clean my beer lines. Use half the amount and run it through the lines. Good stuff. Don't eat it. *smirk*

My friend owns Scrappypunk Brewing in Snohomish, WA and they buy these from WESMAR Chemicals in Lynnwood, WA. I think there are one or 2 brew supply places online that source them also.

According to the Brewery they are awesome. :)

Back