Glass cooktop = slowwwww boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have a glasstop stove and refuse to use it for the same reasons. I settled with buying a canopy for outside and an outdoor burner and since making the switch everything has worked great! :)

I have a lot of difficulty reaching a boil with 2.5 gallons of water on my glass cooktop. I can't afford turkey fryers right now (between jobs), so would it be possible to split the boil in to two separate boils with half ingredients?

On a normal partial boil of 2.5gal with 6lb DME, 1.5oz hops, and spices, how would the profile change with two separate boils of 1.25gal, 3lb Amber DME, 0.75oz hops, and halved spices?

I would love to get my Holiday ale brewed this weekend, but the boil difficulty really hurts my pipeline.

DGibb said:
I have a lot of difficulty reaching a boil with 2.5 gallons of water on my glass cooktop. I can't afford turkey fryers right now (between jobs), so would it be possible to split the boil in to two separate boils with half ingredients?

On a normal partial boil of 2.5gal with 6lb DME, 1.5oz hops, and spices, how would the profile change with two separate boils of 1.25gal, 3lb Amber DME, 0.75oz hops, and halved spices?

I would love to get my Holiday ale brewed this weekend, but the boil difficulty really hurts my pipeline.

Yup!! I did it for a while when I went to allgrain untill I found the perfect kettle for my situation... Just split everything but you might need a little more water depending on tour evaperation rate :)

Thanks for the suggestion about using the "bridged" part of the stove. I'll be sure to give it a try for the next batch!

I say for full extract brewers it's ok to leave the lid on during the boil because all the DMS is boiled off during the manufacturing process

I believe this is incorrect Ed. My understanding is that in the manufacture of DME and LME the wort is not boiled before being dried(DME) or concentrated(LME).

I have the same problem with my glasstop stove. 2 nights ago, I brewed a Belgian Tripel and AS USUALLY it takes forever to get to a boil. I DO leave the lid on till boil and then crack it just a tad to keep it boiling.

My question is: With a 60 min boil, @ 20 minutes left, I had to add my LME and Candi Sugar.
took my hop bag out to stir, Added them, and it took 45 friggin minutes to come back up to a boil AGAIN, with the lid on.

So once I boiled for the last 20 minutes. Will the 45 minute break between , cause anything to go wrong??????

I figured "A boil is a BOIL! So in other words, It was an hour and 45 minutes "cooking"

I believe this is incorrect Ed. My understanding is that in the manufacture of DME and LME the wort is not boiled before being dried(DME) or concentrated(LME).

step-4

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/1106-making-malt-extract
I guess it would depend on the manufacturers process :)

step-4

http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/1106-making-malt-extract
I guess it would depend on the manufacturers process :)

Yes I think you are right. It would appear that brewing grade malt extract as opposed to food grade extract is subjected to a boil. Thanks for that link.

Back