Glass Carboy or Clear Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterShake

Reaction score
hey guys, there arent any LHBS around my area so I would have to order all the supplies online and have it delivered to me.

I am a little paranoid about ordering such a huge glass item over the internet. Since i am scared they might damage the package..

..i wanted to use the glass carboy as a secondary fermentation vessel.

has anyone ever ordered a glass carboy online? AHS to be specific? and should I be worried? or should I just get a clear plastic carboy?

Having had the entire bottom of a glass carboy come off on me, I prefer the Better Bottles. They are PET plastic carboys.

betterbottle.jpg

I have ordered two from Northern Brewer and they ended up on my doorstep in perfect condition, but I wouldn't base my decision on that alone. The Better Bottles are safer and lighter and should be cheaper to ship in my opinion. They are a little more expensive if you get the ported ones with the valve, but in the long run, they are probably better.... no pun intended.

I bought a beer equipment kit that came with a glass carboy 6 years ago via the mail. It's still in one piece, however it can be a bit scary to carry full of beer. If I were to buy another one, and I hope to sometime next year, I would go with a better bottle. You can get a basic for $20, or get one of the fancier ones that come with spigots (easier to rack), airlocks, etc. I still like the idea of glass vs plastic, but after you read about a couple horror stories with glass breaking, you tend to go the safer route.

I have both a 6 gal. BB, and a pair of glass 5 gal. carboys. The BB is great, lightweight, has headroom for pretty active fermentations, etc... I'm finding I'm really only using the BB for wine at this time though. I do primary in a 7 gal bucket, and secondary in the BB.

The glass gets used for two things right now, Apfelwein/cider, and mead. Both tend to get left in the carboy for pretty lengthy periods, and I feel more comfortable letting them condition/clear in glass. Probably not a really serious concern, but I feel better about it just the same.

I've given up on doing a "secondary" on my beers and just leave them in primary (Ale Pail) for longer times. I bottled a special bitter last night that was in primary for 4 weeks and a day. The sample tasted spectacular!

i have four new 6 gallon carboys, and i have two 5 gallon carboys made in 1928 and 1930. Eighty years later, they still have no crack (only a small chip on the lip which i sanded down)

if you treat them well, they will last forever and will not scratch as easily as the better bottles- fine scratches in plastic fermenters can harbor bacteria and cause off flavors

plenty of people have success using either, but i prefer glass

you should also double check craigslist, ebay, and other sources- in Brooklyn, New York, i can't imagine that carboys are that hard to find- i live in podunk champaign, illinois, and i have two places to buy new glass carboys within a ten minute drive!

When I got back into brewing after a 7 year sabbatical, I sold all my glass carboys and bought Better Bottles. The light weight and ease of cleaning are worth the move in itself, but the lack of breaking and increased safety just add to the advantages IMHO.

after reading about glass vs plastic in alot of forums.. I have decided to go with better bottles.. I just got my in today... And wow!! those things are so light.. Alot easier to clean them IMO..

What is currently selling me on PET carboys is that I can get 2 of them in 5G sizes, for $10 cheaper than a single 5G glass carboy. I DO love glass, and have a 6.5G. . .but to me the doubling up for the price is worth it alone. This will be my first plastic carboy so we shall see. I have always been a bit concerned about vigorous cleansing, possibly scratching a bottle, and accidentally creating an infection source.
Suppose I'll just house my mead in the glass, and try out these PET's with beers.
Thanks Santa.

Glass carboys look nicer to me, but in the end they can be dangerous while being transported. Shonuff also pointed out the price difference, oof.

I have some ale pales, but my better bottle is the king! Light, reliable, doesn't stain, doesn't like to break, good seal, good deal.

Latest posts

Back