Glass Carboy Excitement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about the clear flex seal myself.
I may pick up a can and experiment with it to see how it may contain an empty bottle when it breaks. If it performs well might test breaking other glass vessels.
Not sure i will buy a 5 gal just to bust it, but you never know the lengths i might go to further home brew safety. (and i get to break stuff):rock::rock:

Make sure you video the whole process!!

I work in a dangerous job, usually surrounded by thousands of violent men that would kill me if they had the chance.
Sometimes I drive fast when the highway is empty, I ski the liftline at high speed and never wear a helmet, and yup, I use glass carboys. I wonder which of the above I should reduce? I'd say fast driving.....

I work in a dangerous job, usually surrounded by thousands of violent men that would kill me if they had the chance.
Sometimes I drive fast when the highway is empty, I ski the liftline at high speed and never wear a helmet, and yup, I use glass carboys. I wonder which of the above I should reduce? I'd say fast driving.....
I'd start by quitting that job asap! :)

I worked in a feed testing lab back in the early 80's, lots of glass vessels of all kinds. Our number one injury was broken acid carboys causing cuts and acid burns. We all wore acid resistant clothing and gloves but you would still get a nice hole eaten in your leg if a drop finds a way in.

I use plastic buckets right now. Soon as I can afford it I am switching to stainless like the SS Brewtech Brew bucket or Chronical(need to see how many of either will fit in my fermenting chamber) and a clean in place system so I am no longer doing a lot of heavy lifting.

A few weeks ago, I was giving my 6.5gal primary a final swirl of Star-San while my wort was chilling, when the buckle on the brewhauler gave out. I use those square, 3/8ish inch thick foam excersize mats for working with carboys, and I thought I had eased it down gently enough, but low and behold, I ended up with a Jagged nightmare between my feet. Considering my typical brewing wear involves shorts and Crocs, I consider it not a small miracle that I only ended up with a paper cut type scratch from the clean-up. I love glass carboys, but after having to scramble to get a backup fermenter ready to go before my wort was ready, and the chain reaction of mishaps and mistakes caused by that rush, I am considering going back to buckets, or perhaps a plastic big mouth. On the bright side, I just racked the Stout I was brewing that day into the secondary last night, and it seems to have turned out much better than expected!

I used glass until I got my SS brew bucket. In fact, the only plastic used in my process was the hoses/ racking canes, and the bottling bucket. Plastic has a memory which is why I personally didn't use it. I mitigated breakage issues by wearing PPE and proper handling. My carboys haven't ever lain on concrete.

For what it is worth, I own a small window installation company. I wouldn't suggest using chemicals on glass unless they were specifically made to be put on glass. Unintended consequences and what-not.

I used glass until I got my SS brew bucket. In fact, the only plastic used in my process was the hoses/ racking canes, and the bottling bucket. Plastic has a memory which is why I personally didn't use it. I mitigated breakage issues by wearing PPE and proper handling. My carboys haven't ever lain on concrete.

For what it is worth, I own a small window installation company. I wouldn't suggest using chemicals on glass unless they were specifically made to be put on glass. Unintended consequences and what-not.
I don't think most people use anything other than typical cleaning and sanitizing agents (pbw, oxyclean, starsan, etc) on their glass carboys. I might buy a plastic carboy myself just to try it out. Is it correct in assuming those same cleaning agents work ok on plastic?

glass is a great material, but enough stress will break them. the question is only when and as others said, it is hard to see it coming.
regarding carboys, they are CHEAP. At the same time, I woudn't be willing to pay $300-500 for a simple high quality 23l glass vessel either.
I have still some sitting around; from mouth-blown 54l demijohns down to 19l pressed LHBS junkers. I don't trust anyone of them, but to be fair I only had breakages where I dropped them or really bumped hard into something.
What I don't like about them is the small opening and that I cannot pressurize them (although I have done that before without issue). That's been the major reason I switched to SS.
For other applications like starters, I still use lab-grade glassware (anything from Pyrex, Schott even down to the thin Chinease stuff) - all goes directly on propane, heat-plate or stove without any issue (yet...)

Is the carboy bag, that they advertised with a video of them dropping it off a roof and no punctures through the bag still in production? I forget what it was called.

https://www.carboy.net/

I have the covers for 3 gallon and 5 gallon. They work well and give you a secure handle. That said, I abandoned the 5 gallon glass and use buckets for 5-5.5gal batches. I still use the 3 gallon glass carboys.

I had some of the cheap Chinese glassware shatter on the stove as I was bringing a starter to a simmer to sterilize it(I freeze my starter wort). What a mess to clean up! Now I only buy name brand, right now using Klimax and they are twice as thick as the cheap junk.

glass is a great material, but enough stress will break them. the question is only when and as others said, it is hard to see it coming.
regarding carboys, they are CHEAP. At the same time, I woudn't be willing to pay $300-500 for a simple high quality 23l glass vessel either.
I have still some sitting around; from mouth-blown 54l demijohns down to 19l pressed LHBS junkers. I don't trust anyone of them, but to be fair I only had breakages where I dropped them or really bumped hard into something.
What I don't like about them is the small opening and that I cannot pressurize them (although I have done that before without issue). That's been the major reason I switched to SS.
For other applications like starters, I still use lab-grade glassware (anything from Pyrex, Schott even down to the thin Chinease stuff) - all goes directly on propane, heat-plate or stove without any issue (yet...)

I had some of the cheap Chinese glassware shatter on the stove as I was bringing a starter to a simmer to sterilize it(I freeze my starter wort). What a mess to clean up! Now I only buy name brand, right now using Klimax and they are twice as thick as the cheap junk.
Recently, I switched to a good labgrade heated stirrer; no boil over (no antifoam needed either), way less stress on the glass since bottom is not much hotter than rest of flask.

I was joking in the other "horrible death from glass carboy" thread that my order for some cut resistant gloves was worded like I was getting a dozen pair at the price competitors were charging for one pair (around 35-30 bucks). This is what showed up in the mail. If anyone wants to buy some for slightly less than retail, let me know....haha!

PIP 18-SD385 Kut-Gard Dyneema/Steel Slabbers Gloves - Double-Sided PVC Dot Grip

ANSI Cut Level 5

KLwTONe.jpg

I would exchange the skis for a snowboard!

Back