Glass 6.5 Gallon Carboy Etched on Inside? Is it Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloJohn

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 6.5 gallon, older glass carboy from Craigslist. Upon initial inspection, I thought it was just in need of a good cleaning as there were some marks in the top third that appeared greenish in color like hops hadn't been completely removed.

After soaking in PBW, it may be etched. I have not tried bleach, oxyclean, clr or vinegar yet.

If the carboy is indeed etched, is it still acceptable to use or does it become impossible to clean and sanitize completely?

Someone can feel free to correct me here, but so long as the etch isn't big enough to trap visible debris (like a proper gouge that may effect the structural integrity of the carboy) you ought to be fine after a good PBW/Oxy soak and hitting it with sanitizer.

Thanks. I decided to CLR it and see if they were lime deposits. I used a 5:1 CLR mix and sloshed it around for about 90 seconds. I rinsed the heck out of it and then soaked it with bleach and water. Last I rinsed thoroughly and sanitized with Star San.

I'll consider it good until proven otherwise.

Back