Girl Scout Cookie Caramel Delites (Samoas) Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a copy of my recipe. If/when I do this again, I'd try toasting the coconut and bump up my Carapils a bit as the beer lost quite a bit of head retention after I bottled. Out of the keg it's got great head, but it dies down fairly quick.

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG
16.0 lb Maris Otter Pale (UK) Any 76 % Mash 38
2.0 lb Medium Crystal Any 9 % Mash 34
1.0 lb Carapils (DE) Any 4 % Mash 35
1.0 lb CaraMunich I (DE) Any 4 % Mash 34
1.0 lb Pale Chocolate (UK) Any 4 % Mash 33
Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
1.0 oz Styrian Golding (SI) 60 min Boil Pellet 5.2%
1.0 oz Centennial (US) 45 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Whitbread Ale Wyeast 1099 70.0%
Extras

Amount Name Time Use
1.0 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15.0 min Boil
4.0 lb Toasted Coconut 7.0 days Secondary
8.0 oz Cocoa Nibs 7.0 days Secondary
1.0 lb Lactose 7.0 days Secondary
Predicted Stats

Batch Size 10.0 gal Boil Time 90 min Efficiency 75.0%
1.058 OG 1.018 FG 25 IBU 5.4% ABV 18 SRM 0.44 IBU/OG

Is the toasted coconut sweetened or unsweetened?

16.0 lbMaris Otter Pale (UK)Any76 %Mash38
2.0 lbMedium CrystalAny9 %Mash34
1.0 lbCarapils (DE)Any4 %Mash35
1.0 lbCaraMunich I (DE)Any4 %Mash34
1.0 lbPale Chocolate (UK)Any4 %Mash33
Hops

AmountHopTimeUseFormAA
1.0 ozStyrian Golding (SI)60 minBoilPellet5.2%
1.0 ozCentennial (US)45 minBoilPellet10.5%
Yeasts

NameLab/ProductAttenuation
Whitbread AleWyeast 109970.0%
Extras

AmountNameTimeUse
1.0 eachWhirlfloc Tablet15.0 minBoil
4.0 lbToasted Coconut7.0 daysSecondary
8.0 ozCocoa Nibs7.0 daysSecondary
1.0 lb Lactose 7.0 days Secondary

Did you get any caramel flavor out of this, or mainly chocolate coconut?

Did you get any caramel flavor out of this, or mainly chocolate coconut?

Mainly chocolate and coconut. Carmel is a tough distinct flavor to highlight. The chocolate and coconut were great, and with a little lactose really gave it a samoa taste.

I brewed this again with a slightly tweaked recipe and should be getting competition notes back today.

Mainly chocolate and coconut. Carmel is a tough distinct flavor to highlight. The chocolate and coconut were great, and with a little lactose really gave it a samoa taste.

I brewed this again with a slightly tweaked recipe and should be getting competition notes back today.

Let us know how it went.

Did you lose much volume from the 4 lbs of coconut?

Let us know how it went.

Did you lose much volume from the 4 lbs of coconut?

R1 turned out well, but still room to improve. It scored a 33 at the last comp I entered with most of the comments being to increase choc malt and bring out the porter characteristics more. I currently had 6.1% choc rye malt, but I'll be bumping that up closer to 10% or so. The coconut really dominates at 5 lbs for 11 gallons. Next time I might bump down to 4lbs to try and balance out a bit more. I also received comments about the cocoa nibs giving a "dusty" feel. That's something I'll have to dig into a bit as I just made a tincture with nibs and vodka and threw that into the secondary.

I can't really comment on volume loss, sorry.

Just brewed a 5 gallon batch of this guy yesterday, with a few changes. I'm going to use about 1.5 lbs toasted coconut. A third went in the mash, a third at flameout, and the rest will go in the secondary. Beersmith was telling me the above recipe was going to be very light, like a light brown, so I added 5oz of black patent for color and a little more roast character. I also added 1 lb of D45 candi sugar late in the boil to try to get more caramel flavor. I bought lactose but I'll add it to the keg only if it needs more sweetness. 6-8oz cocoa nibs and 1 vanilla bean will go in the secondary as well.

This will probably be my main entry for an upcoming competition with friends. Thanks HiImBrian for the recipe!

Just brewed a 5 gallon batch of this guy yesterday, with a few changes. I'm going to use about 1.5 lbs toasted coconut. A third went in the mash, a third at flameout, and the rest will go in the secondary. Beersmith was telling me the above recipe was going to be very light, like a light brown, so I added 5oz of black patent for color and a little more roast character. I also added 1 lb of D45 candi sugar late in the boil to try to get more caramel flavor. I bought lactose but I'll add it to the keg only if it needs more sweetness. 6-8oz cocoa nibs and 1 vanilla bean will go in the secondary as well.

This will probably be my main entry for an upcoming competition with friends. Thanks HiImBrian for the recipe!

I fully support the adding of black patent to darken this up. My first time with this did come out browner than I'd like, so I added some blackprinz malt and it looked much better the second time around. 1.5lbs of coconut sounds a tad low to me, but let me know how it turns out! Good luck in the comp as well. Definitely report back!

Man this is good! So I used a half lb in the mash, half lb at flameout, and I went with 1.5 lb in secondary, all freshly toasted. Also used half lb cocoa nibs and 1 vanilla bean in secondary, about 1 week. I didn't add any lactose and don't think I will. The coconut was dominating at first but now has tamed down and the chocolate and vanilla are coming through. The wife says it tastes a lot like samoas, and I tend to agree. I don't think it's too sweet at all. Really happy with how this turned out

Man this is good! So I used a half lb in the mash, half lb at flameout, and I went with 1.5 lb in secondary, all freshly toasted. Also used half lb cocoa nibs and 1 vanilla bean in secondary, about 1 week. I didn't add any lactose and don't think I will. The coconut was dominating at first but now has tamed down and the chocolate and vanilla are coming through. The wife says it tastes a lot like samoas, and I tend to agree. I don't think it's too sweet at all. Really happy with how this turned out

Could you taste the coconut quite a bit in the wort before adding the 1.5lb into secondary? Also, I think the vanilla bean would be a good addition, nice thinking!

I finally bottled off the rest of my keg last night and the coconut flavor definitely mellows and changes over time.

The pre-secondary gravity sample tasted really good, but didn't have a lot of coconut. I think the boil probably drives off a lot of the flavor and aroma. Next time I'll probably just put it all in the secondary.

So I've been toying with this recipe for a few batches and by far the favorite: switched the nibs for 8oz of hershey's cocoa powder (this really messes with the color but if it tastes good, I'm happy) and put 4lbs of toasted (toasted is key, you have to toast it) coconut in the secondary and then pressed half of it before bottling. #nevertoomuchcoconut

It's amazing.

So I've been toying with this recipe for a few batches and by far the favorite: switched the nibs for 8oz of hershey's cocoa powder (this really messes with the color but if it tastes good, I'm happy) and put 4lbs of toasted (toasted is key, you have to toast it) coconut in the secondary and then pressed half of it before bottling. #nevertoomuchcoconut

It's amazing.

Do you have any pictures? I'm usually not a fan of cocoa powder, but tempted to try it as some of the score sheets I received seemed to hate on the cocoa nibs a bit. Also what do you mean you pressed half of the coconut?

Do you have any pictures? I'm usually not a fan of cocoa powder, but tempted to try it as some of the score sheets I received seemed to hate on the cocoa nibs a bit. Also what do you mean you pressed half of the coconut?

Hey - here's a picture. The cocoa powder made it much lighter and much more brown.
17554392_10103603669155034_6063984571801731065_n.jpg

As for the "pressing," - After 7 days in the secondary, I took some of the coconut and put it and some beer in a french press and pressed the coconut to get the most flavor as possible. After doing about half of it, i was happy with how the beer tasted (was going ot be too much coconut if I pressed all of it).

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back