Gingered cider/perry and EC1118 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natureboy68

Reaction score
To the collective for perusal:
I had an extra gallon of unpasturized cider and decided to experiment with EC-1118
1gal unpasturized apple cider
1gal gerber 100% pear juice (couldn't find any other pear juice!)
1 cup organic trader joes brown sugar
1/2 oz dried ginger
1/2 tsp pectinase
1/8 tsp fermaid k + 1/8 tsp DAP
EC-1118

I will do a SNA over the first week

Came up with an OG of 1.057
I am concerned that the OG is too low for EC-1118...any thoughts? I am ok with waiting and aging this, I'm in no hurry!

It's a champagne yeast... It will be dry.

I used it on a perry 100% pear. Blew out all the pear essence. Now it taste like flowers.... Been aged for over a year. I wish I didn't use it for pear cider. I just need to find pear concentrate and back sweeten it. Then I expect it to be great.

insanim8er said:
Just remember... if you back sweeten with juice, you'll be adding a lot of water back in. This will lower your ABV.

Yes, very true, if my calculations are correct, it will be a high ABV with the EC-1118 anyway, next time I'll reverse the pear source, ferment with pear nectar and back sweeten with pear juice, I am going to add a quart or two of pear nectar tomorrow to up the OG and hope for the best, I'll add more pectinase in secondary to help clear it...interesting experiment! I'll try to post updates here...

Back