Gingerbeer carbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancientink

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to post this question but.....a favorite at our house is gingerbeer. When its done fermenting and sour I sweeten with stevia and ad a bit of white sugar to carbonate in the bottle.
Now ginger is a root not a fruit but I know wine is keto friendly so would gingerbeer be similar? I just make 10 gallons and my husband right after decided to go on the keto diet lol. I know when I look up the nutrition for the commercial stuff you buy it's high carb but they sweeten it with high carb sweetner.
Thanks in advance

That's the worst thing (for me) about when I do keto, not the sugar,chips ect I miss beer mostly.
I don't really have a recipe. I just kinda eye ball it(like my sourdough making).
I chop about 5 lbs ginger ,relatively small, I don't bother peeling
Throw it in a big stock pot with about 6 citrus fruits( I typically use a mix of orange, lemon and lime sliced
Add several peppercorns , an couple cinnamon sticks and fill with water
Boil for about 30 minutes , stir in about 5 lbs sugar ( I use a mix of white and brown)
Pour into a fermenting bucket and add enough water to make it about 4 gallons.
Pitch yeast the next day. Let it go for 5-7 days , strain into second bucket, add a gallon of apple juice and wait till its done fermenting.

Would you post your recipe?

Not all wine is keto friendly. I learned this the hard way :cool:

That's the worst thing (for me) about when I do keto, not the sugar,chips ect I miss beer mostly.
I don't really have a recipe. I just kinda eye ball it(like my sourdough making).
I chop about 5 lbs ginger ,relatively small, I don't bother peeling
Throw it in a big stock pot with about 6 citrus fruits( I typically use a mix of orange, lemon and lime sliced
Add several peppercorns , an couple cinnamon sticks and fill with water
Boil for about 30 minutes , stir in about 5 lbs sugar ( I use a mix of white and brown)
Pour into a fermenting bucket and add enough water to make it about 4 gallons.
Pitch yeast the next day. Let it go for 5-7 days , strain into second bucket, add a gallon of apple juice and wait till its done fermenting.

Do you have a final hydrometer reading? Very rough guestimate: it's not low carb enough for keto.

FWIW, It's easy to make low-carb beer. Mash low in temperature and use some enzymes.

Back