Ginger Kombucha tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick.bak

Reaction score
I want to make a ginger beer an alternative way, and was thinking about this:

3L Kombucha from green tea, 1 dl sugar/L, fermented 10 days at 21°C

Second fermentation:
175g ginger
200g cane sugar
2 lime+zest
2 lemon+zest
2 appels
2 oranges+zest

I will bring the following to a boil:
Ginger+appels+zest.
Add sugar, cool a bit, add lime+lemon+orange juice
Filter --> cool down --> add to kombucha

Let it ferment for 2-3 days --> bottle --> refrigerator

Any comments/tips on this idea?

Hi Patrick,

I've done a similar thing recently and it came out great. I used a similar recipe to what you've posted though added all my ingredients whilst making my tea for the first fermentation:
360g sugar
2640g water
250g ginger
1 lemon peel
3 stalks lemongrass
Handful of dried chillies (I always prefer a spicy ginger beer)

I brought it all to the boil then steeped it for a few hours until I was happy with the flavour and heat. Once it was cool I strained it and added a scoby along with some backslop. After a week I bottled it for secondary fermentation with a touch a simple sugar syrup to give it a little more food for carbonation.

Good luck with it!

I want to make a ginger beer an alternative way, and was thinking about this:

3L Kombucha from green tea, 1 dl sugar/L, fermented 10 days at 21°C

Second fermentation:
175g ginger
200g cane sugar
2 lime+zest
2 lemon+zest
2 appels
2 oranges+zest

I will bring the following to a boil:
Ginger+appels+zest.
Add sugar, cool a bit, add lime+lemon+orange juice
Filter --> cool down --> add to kombucha

Let it ferment for 2-3 days --> bottle --> refrigerator

Any comments/tips on this idea?

Looks like too much citrus to me. But if you really like citrus, go for it.

Thanks, I removed a bit of the citrus and added 1 medium chilli + substituted some of the sugar with champagne syrup. The result is good.

I like a very spicy ginger flavour, and the only way I've found to achieve this is blending fresh ginger (covered in water) thoroughly, then straining out the pulp, and decanting the juice once the fine white stuff settles to the bottom. I add this juice to the kombucha after the primary fermentation is done, about 4 tsp per 16 oz bottle. The juice freezes well so I do it in a big batch and make ice cubes. Making a ginger tea seems to cut a lot of its flavour intensity.

Robbomuch: how did the primary fermentation work out after adding everything at the beginning? Ginger is supposed to have antibacterial effects, I'd worry that over time this could cause problems with the culture, if you continued to use starter liquid from this batch.

Back