Ginger Chilli Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this. Had it in Europe and was amazing but can't track down a recipe.

Maverick Chilli and Ginger Cider
Orchard Pig
Type Cider / Perry
ABV 4.4%
Ginger and Chilli Cider. An initial nose of citrus and orchard apple. Sweet Ginger and honey in the first sip, with a chilli bite

That's what I'm trying to clone. Any ideas?

I make the Simple Cider recipe by phug, and lately have been adding ginger. About 5oz seems pperfect for 5 gallons. I suggest using this as start point, then split into single gallon batches and experimenting with the chilli.

I tried it with the following. Will see how it goes.

19 liters of apple juice. Sunripe brand.
1# of brown sugar.
5oz of ginger
Half of a ring of fire chili (from the garden this year)

I heated to 170 and held it there for about 15 mins with all ingredients in it. Wanted to pasteurize anything that may have been on the ginger/chilies however I doubt anything can survive on that but I rather be safe then sorry. I pitched Nottingham ale yeast. Had an OG of 1.060. Hoping to have the yeast stop at 1.014 and give me a nice sweetish cider. The stuff we had wasn't sweet but wasn't dry either. Oh I removed the chili after heating it as when I took a sample you could already feel some heat. I couldn't detect much heat in the orchard pig. Actually I didn't think there was any. The wife said there was. I love hot food though so what's hot to others isn't hot to me at all. Either way I could detect a little heat in mine after the pasteurizing so I'm sure there will be a little heat. I didn't want it getting over powering.

Back