Ginger beer with alcohol!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
I've played with the search function enough:

One post said as much as 2.5 lbs of ginger (not a typo), and others say 5 oz is plenty. I only have one shot at this to have it ready in time for SWMBO's graduation party, otherwise I would happily play with iterations until I got a good recipe. I plan on adding ginger to a wheat-type recipe with honey.

How much grated ginger root for a 5 gallon batch of beer (the kind with alcohol) will give a reach-out-and-smack-you-in-the-face ginger flavor?

4 oz
but i like it mo' subtle so i use 2
Czech out the radical brewing recipe for "Poets Black Ginger Beer"
kicks butt!

I've had good luck with 3-4 ounces in my Ginger Orange Dortmunder. The ginger does linger, BUT it also fades or more precisely it mellows. How far til graduation? If we're talking june/july, I almost would err on the side of caution for and go on the high side and do 4-5 ounces.

I've had good luck with 3-4 ounces in my Ginger Orange Dortmunder. The ginger does linger, BUT it also fades or more precisely it mellows. How far til graduation? If we're talking june/july, I almost would err on the side of caution for and go on the high side and do 4-5 ounces.

Jesus is SO a RedSox fan!!!:rockin:

It's middle of May, Revvy. I'm thinking I'll ferment a bit on the high side (68-70) so I'm sure to get a quick ferment, and maybe skip the secondary.

I talked to my brother in law and asked him how much ginger was in his last ginger beer batch, and he used 3 oz in the primary and 2 in the secondary, and while it was good it was a bit on the mellow side. I think since SWMBO wants a heavy ginger flavor I might go as high as 10 oz, but 2.5 lbs seems silly. Thanks for the ideas, all.:mug:

The Ginger beer that started with this post is finally ready and will be served at the graduation party tomorrow. We just sampled one, and it came out great! I ended up using 10 oz of fresh coarse chopped ginger root, and two pounds of honey in a basic wheat recipe, and fermented with WLP001 (due to a happy accident).

After two weeks in bottles the tester tasted a bit harsh, but it has mellowed out and is smooth and yummy! There's a great ginger flavor that is up front and prominent, but it isn't overwhelming like you just took a bite of a ginger root. If anyone is looking for ginger flavor in your beer, don't be afraid of using 10 oz. It will turn out great!

My last batch, (and I am trying this from memory, so I might be off)

6 lbs Extra light DME
1 lb Clover Honey
1lb Biscuit Malt (Steeped for flavor)
1 - 2 oz Cascade / Centennial Boiling hops. (Somewhere around 8-15HBU)
1 oz Cascade at the last five minutes of boil for hop flavor
6 - 7.5 oz fresh shredded ginger.

Ginger is added at flameout with the cascade. I don't boil my ginger, but I hold it above 160 degrees for 20 minutes to pasteurize.

1 week primaried, 1 week secondaried. Siphoning is a *****, the ginger clogs up the siphon intake.

I've made several batches over the last year with occasional variants in the recipe. This comes out around 6 - 7% ABV, is a cool and fresh beer with very little bitterness or hop aroma, and a clean ginger bite. My goal was to make it just shy of overpoweringly gingery, and this recipe hits it just where I wanted.

My next batch of this will probably have another 8 - 12 HBU of boiling hops, and an ounce less of ginger.

I tried using ginger in my first brew. I used about 16 oz. of fresh grated ginger BUT I warn to anybody who wants the spicyness not to boil the ginger! I boiled it for about 10 minutes, and I cant even taste a hint of spicy in my beer. Maybe a habanero will work out a little better.

I followed Darias's recipe pretty closely. I came out with a beautiful beer. Thanks Darias.

I tried to follow his suggestion to "hold the ginger at 160 for 20 minutes to pasteurize." However when I put my ginger in the microwave i didn't watch closely enough and it boiled over. Boiling ginger reduces the spiciness so I stuck another batch of ginger in the microwave and did it again. I'm going from memory but this was a total of 12-15 oz briefly boiled.

The spicy flavor is mostly gone. Although there is some left. If you are looking for a spicy beer this isn't it. It is more of an easy drinking beer. There is a nice note of honey. There is also an interesting ginger character to the beer. Ginger has another flavor in addition to its spice. Its that flavor. The beer also has a slight astringent flavor. Doesn't detract too much.
Also the beer has a beautiful rich thick and creamy head. It has a crisp mouth feel. It is a gorgeous amber color.

If I were to do this again I would go with a little ginger in the secondary in addition. Just an oz or so. It would give it some ginger kick.

Latest posts

Back