Ginger beer method newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivalamia

Reaction score
Hey guys
I am brewing my first batch of ginger beer after reading a few methods.

Basically there’s two I’ve read most about and I want to know which is the preferred method.
1. Start a bug in a small jar with water yeast and sugar, feed for a week or so then add with a large quantity and then bottle.
2. Start with yeast, ginger, sugar in a large 20L bucket/carboy and let it do its thing for 1-2 weeks then bottle with more sugar for carbonation.

Is there a major difference in end result between these two methods? I’m looking for a nice strong alcoholic brew. Thanks

Ginger beer is a confusing thing because it's a different thing to so many people. And to most of us beer is mostly made with barley malt. So I'd just pick a method and try it. If it's not what you want then try another.

Strong alcohol brew? Well that's going to depend on how much sugar is available for the yeast to ferment into alcohol and if the yeast are alcohol tolerant at higher ABV's.

I make one gallon batches using your method number 2:
Peel and puree 8 oz ginger root per gallon
Heat 1/2 gallon water to 180*F, dissolve 1# table sugar, add pureed ginger, zest and juice of 1 lemon, remove from heat and steep 45 minutes
Strain, add to fermenter, add 1/2 teaspoon Fermaid O, top off with cool water and pitch yeast at proper temp. I use Red Star Premier Classique.
Ferment around 70*. Prime and bottle when you reach fg.

This makes a nice, fizzy ginger "beer" that tastes great to me. ABV is about 6%. You can add or remove sugar to adjust as you wish.

Hope this wasn't more info than you wanted! Good luck!🍻

Ginger beer is a confusing thing because it's a different thing to so many people. And to most of us beer is mostly made with barley malt. So I'd just pick a method and try it. If it's not what you want then try another.

Strong alcohol brew? Well that's going to depend on how much sugar is available for the yeast to ferment into alcohol and if the yeast are alcohol tolerant at higher ABV's.
Thanks mate!

Heat 1/2 gallon water to 180*F, dissolve 1# table sugar, add pureed ginger, zest and juice of 1 lemon, remove from heat and steep 45 minutes
Strain, add to fermenter, add 1/2 teaspoon Fermaid O, top off with cool water and pitch yeast at proper temp. I use Red Star Premier Classique.

This makes a nice, fizzy ginger "beer" that tastes great to me. ABV is about 6%. You can add or remove sugar to adjust as you wish.

That’s awesome thanks heaps. Will give that a go, as a newbie I like the idea of starting out with a smaller quantity. Cheers mate

This!!! Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Back