Ginger Beer Hijinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCSF336

Reaction score
Okay so I realize that Im a man probably in the wrong place asking questions that might not be answered but Im working on creating an old-school batch of Ginger Beer(the alcoholic version of course) I have gone all over the internet and have finally settled on attempting to brew the stuff in the same way one would brew some regular beer--hold your gasps please, I understand there is no such thing as "regular beer" but bear with the newbie.

I mixed up simple syrup, a spice bag, pureed ginger, and water, then boiled it and allowed it to cool. While the "ginger wort" cooled, I started some Cooper's Ale yeast in some warm (80-85F) water with a little simple syrup until nice and frothy (approx 2 hours)

SO HERES MY DILEMMA:
This is my second batch- my first batch died on me and I have no idea what happened. In this batch I pitched the yeast when the "wort" was about 80F and Im concerned that what killed the first batch is the fermenter itself. Im using a 2 gallon food grade bucket which isnt creating an airtight seal- is this my smoking gun, and if not what can I do to give my yeast a little bit of insurance?

Thanks for any help and may the beer-lords bless your brew!:rockin:

Ideally you would want to pitch the yeast and ferment at a little lower temperature. I have made a few natural ferment ginger ales in 2 liter bottles.
Most recipes called for a lot of sugar, I am not a sweat tea or soda fan, so my next batch will be with maybe 2 cup of inverted sugar per gallon or less just to ferment up enough and give a light alcohol content, and then back sweeten with a non-fermenting substance to my taste.
Here is some notes that may help.

7 tsp blended ginger.
1.5 cups brown sugar.
Rinds from three lemons
Juice from two lemons.
One with WLP300. Need to rack, or I over pitched.
One with C02 --
Both still a little too sweet.

6 oz sugar
2+ oz ginger
half cup water.
heat - strain
put into soda bottle,
1/8 tsp yeast,
2 tsp lemon juice.
1 day, half a glass, tasting pretty good, will let sit. made more
-- Too sweet for me.

Latest posts