Ginger beer, don't hold the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing up a ginger beer sometime this spring (May?) and I want to get some feedback. I typically like "ginger beers", the ones with no alcohol (or less than 1%). I've had a handful of "ginger" beers that were in the 4-5% range that were kind of beery, with some medium to heavy ginger.

I figured I'd try my hand at a midly sweet, moderately gingery low alcohol brew.

I am planning on a blonde ale base.

3 gallon batch (because I don't want to go crazy and find out it is terrible).

3 pounds of American 2-row
.5lbs Crystal 20l
Mash at 156F for 60 minutes
.25oz Simcoe 12.7AA 30 minutes
.25oz Simcoe 12.7AA 15 minutes
2oz of shredded Ginger root at 10 minutes
1lb of Lactose at 10 minutes
.25oz Simcoe 12.7AA 5 minutes
.25oz Simcoe 12.7AA flame out
S-05 yeast

After primary fermentation dies down, 1oz of shredded ginger root soaked in some vodka.

I'll probably lager this one for a couple of weeks after fermenting at 66F, at around 40f to clean it up Kolsch style.

I am getting 36IBU, 1.032OG, 1.006FG, 5SRM and 3.4% ABV when I punch it in to a calculator.

The couple of questions I have, for anyone who has proceeded down this path, what is a good amount of ginger? 3oz in 3 gallons seems like a decent amount in the end without going to crazy.

Or should I go for more ginger? I want it to be very stand out, but not pucker your mouth strong.

Also, lactose. Never used it before. The suggestions I've seen call for around 1 pound per 5 gallons for a milk stout. This is close to double that, but I AM looking for something that is more of a ginger beer/soda type deal. IE I want it heavy on the ginger (without being undrinkable) and I want that balanced with a good amount of sweetness and some piney from the simcoe. Though maybe something more citrus, like cascade would be better instead.

Anyway, I do NOT want this as sweet as a soda, but I do want the sweetness to be noticable and stronger then I'd normally appreciate or expect in just a regular milk stout or cream ale.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please send help?

Back