Ghetto Sight Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
In my keggle I have put a 3 inch extension between the ball valve and wall of the keggle (direct fire) to protect from heat. Any reason I can't use some vinyl tubing and a clip of some sort (to keep it attached to the top of the keggle) for an improvised sight glass? I know that the end of the ball valve with a barb fitting stays cool to the touch during the boil etc, if the hose is "calibrated" prior to use would it work? My thought is that water level outside (still inside of the tubing) will equal the inside level of the wort. Sorry for the long post-I've had a couple too many pulls from my keg tonight. P.S. my keggle is a "coors" fat bodied side type-so a regular sight glass would be cumbersome and stick out too far to be permanent.

I'm not a fan of plastic beer, so I try to keep contact with vinyl to a minimum, especially at anything over fermentation temps. Use silicone instead of vinyl, and it will work fine. I used the same method for a while without any issues. Just dont pinch the end of the tubing shut when you clip it up. Also, make sure to put the volume marks on the outside of the keggle, not on the tubing.

I'm not a fan of plastic beer, so I try to keep contact with vinyl to a minimum, especially at anything over fermentation temps. Use silicone instead of vinyl, and it will work fine. I used the same method for a while without any issues. Just dont pinch the end of the tubing shut when you clip it up.

Are you talking about using the silicone tubing as the actual sight glass? I'd like to see a picture of this setup if you have one..

Also, make sure to put the volume marks on the outside of the keggle, not on the tubing.

Is this because the tubing is not rigid? or does it actually expand and shrink?

I'm thinking since silicone is good to 400 degrees, then you could mount this thing very close to the keggle wall, correct?

Are you talking about using the silicone tubing as the actual sight glass? I'd like to see a picture of this setup if you have one..

Is this because the tubing is not rigid? or does it actually expand and shrink?

I'm thinking since silicone is good to 400 degrees, then you could mount this thing very close to the keggle wall, correct?

If you mark it on the outside of the kettle, you will never have to redo the calibration. if you mark it on the tubing, then you will have to make sure that it is set exactly the same every time. If you dont slip the tubing all the way onto the nipple, or if its got a little more slack this time compared to last, etc. etc.

Put the markings on the kettle and never worry about it.

I really like this idea, and just got my silicone tubing from bargainfittings. Previously I have been using marks on my plastic mash paddle but I dont think that is entirely accurate (ended up with 4.5 gallons in the fermenter last batch). I might try recalibrating this weekend. I'd like to see someones setup too.

I wish i had some pics but, I haven't built it yet. Just trying to get a feel to see if it will work before investing time/money.

My Ghetto Sight Glass,,,, err I mean tube,,,,, err I mean hose :)

Small 1.jpg
Small 2.jpg
Small 3.jpg

Back