Ghetto Converted BIAB RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been following this thread since I do BIAB and really want to improve my process. How much efficiency do you pick up with recirculation? Or is it more a quality thing... that you can better control mash temp and such?

For ME, recirculation is about clarity of the beer. I'm not sure it adds to efficiency, but I could definitely be wrong.

You can heat the wort using a RIMS as you recirculate, but it isn't necessary. It depends on the beer....I've made a lot of IPA's/APA's, and just let the temp naturally drop. It's not a concern, because you want the beer to have a lot of fermentables for a dry finish.

Plus I like to tinker.....;)

So, I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but I assume you're using a 220v element? What kind?

So, I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but I assume you're using a 220v element? What kind?

In the BoilKettle, a 220v 4500w LWD element.

In RIMS tube, it's a 5500w LWD element (it's what homedepot had) but running at 120v. I need to swap them...

Another strange question for you, Bakins:

When you hoist your basket up and set it on the grate, does the liquid "spring" from the bottom/side holes, or does it all dribble down relatively close to the sides and out the bottom? I ask because my basket is a tight fit and I don't want to make a mess.

I really like the use of a steamer basket in the pot. I have a basket from my 10 gallon turkey fryer and was thinking about upgrading to a 15 gallon pot from Sam's.. Hmmmm

Latest posts

Back