Ghetto Brewing - Chill before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-Mursed

Reaction score
Got my Munich Helles down to 80 before transferring from kettle to carboy.

Need to get it down to 60 before pitching my Southern German yeast, so I did what anyone would do in the "hood".

Ghetto Chilling....or as we call it "Lagering in the D" :fro:

Currently 24 degrees with a 12mph wind.

Will do that with my next batch.

I used the IC for the initial cooling and transferred the water to the washing machine until it was full. This is my first full boil with new kettle.

Normally I would just top off the carboy with cold water, but I filled directly from kettle all the way this time.

An IC is the way to go. I love mine. With the ground close to frozen at this time of year I can get down to pitching temp in no time.

"Lagering in the D".......Hahahaha, thank you for breaking up the monotony of a Monday. Now if we could only get the two Fox Sports hotties to pitch that! You're not alone, I actually put my brew kettle of raspberry wheat in the snow after the boil on Saturday night to speed up the cooling.

Due to water hookups, etc. I use a recirc. Pond pump in an old ale pail with my IC. If there's snow on the ground it goes in the bucket with the water and does a great job chilling! Cheaper than ice lol

Back