ghetto brew setups?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, when all is said & done after much experimentation, we all seem to come back to the simplest common denominator. Sometimes, simple is better...even ghetto simple! :mug:

We're you also doing laundry? Just wondering about the detergent on cat tower. Well played!

Haha due to it being so unstable with the HLT on top. The detergent was the heaviest thing I could quickly find to stabilize it. You can also see a random landscaping brick at the bottom for added stability.

Haha due to it being so unstable with the HLT on top. The detergent was the heaviest thing I could quickly find to stabilize it. You can also see a random landscaping brick at the bottom for added stability.

Couldn't you set it up on some old roller skates?

My very first mash... Old sleeping bag wrapped around a plastic fermentation bucket.

Lots have changed since then! :)

SNB16898.jpg

kind of an old thread, but i just had to add my latest setup. I came across a corona mill, but i didn't have a hopper or any way to get the grains into the bucket without making a mess or losing grains. So this happened... Once i got it tweaked, it was clean. The mess you see is what led to the mods

Fantastic!

Kind of an old thread, but I just had to add my latest setup. I came across a Corona mill, but I didn't have a hopper or any way to get the grains into the bucket without making a mess or losing grains. So this happened... Once I got it tweaked, it was clean. The mess you see is what led to the mods

You win.

Close the thread.

That's about as ghetto as you can get!:mug: And I've been using broken chairs, folding tables, old printer stands...anything that'd work. But this is a new level of ghetto!

Kind of an old thread, but I just had to add my latest setup. I came across a Corona mill, but I didn't have a hopper or any way to get the grains into the bucket without making a mess or losing grains. So this happened... Once I got it tweaked, it was clean. The mess you see is what led to the mods

Please... PLEASE write a dead serious "how-to" on how to rig a hopper for a carona mill.

If it doesn't make the home page I'll eat my hat!

Is that gummy bear duct tape? That is a bit too fancy for a true ghetto. Lost some points there.

Haha. It's all I had other than the tape with red lipstick prints, but I couldn't find it. My wife got it because it was on clearance, does that help?

I love reading old threads like this when I'm supposed to be working
I have to get a pic of my winter setup
I can't use the hose to chill so I use a bucket of snow water and an old fish tank canister filter to cycle the water through the chiller

I can't use the hose to chill so I use a bucket of snow water and an old fish tank canister filter to cycle the water through the chiller

You can use your mash tun and gravity to do it, too.

My winter wort chilling setup consists of my sink, and me running outside using my smaller brew kettle to dig "chilling material" out of the snowbank.

All this pumping with chillers and melting snow....this is the ghetto thread.

Easiest method if it's cold enough to have snow, just leave the kettle outside for a few hours.

If you want faster results, fill a large tub with snow and water, and just set the kettle in the slush, go inside and have a beer, this will chill pretty quick.

I always imagined the best ghetto winter chiller to be a kiddie pool full of ice and water, set the kettle in their and bam your chilling quick.

Some people say ice baths don't work that well, I say they just haven't tried a large enough one with enough ice.

A few times I have chilled w/ a 30 gallon tub and 60-80 lbs of ice and water, set the kettle in their and just walk away....chills pretty damn fast ime.

Here's a pic of my setup. Not sure how ghetto it really is, but I like it.

The boil kettle is on the bottom right. When I've collected enough wort, I move the boil kettle to the burner where the HLT is.

Citra Pale Ale - Sparging.jpg

i dont know if i would count nice stainless steel pots with thermometers and valves ghetto... LOL

I gotta rig something to lift those heavy grain bags myself. That other one looks ghetto rigged to me, even though the kettles are a bit upscale. The rig says it all!

I actually need to build a stand for my burner, because lifting 12 gallons of hot wort sucks ass.

I actually need to build a stand for my burner, because lifting 12 gallons of hot wort sucks ass.

Couple of cinder blocks would probably get you up high enough so you can gravity drain to a fermenter. Plus they'll match your current theme.

Cheers.

Here's a pic of my setup. Not sure how ghetto it really is, but I like it.

The boil kettle is on the bottom right. When I've collected enough wort, I move the boil kettle to the burner where the HLT is.

View attachment 306635

Hey stranger, just moved from plymouth mi to chicago!

Not that ghetto imo.

Fyi wine barrel plus is having another half off brew day in the 10th. All ingredients you use that day are half priced.

Since ghetto is run watcha brung, rigged on the fly sort of thing, I think it counts. American ingenuity in action!...

I'm not allowed to brew in the house anymore
I was even yelled at making a starter
Anyone know if microwave starters are any good ?
I don't wanna set the whole **** up for a starter
It would look ridiculous with a burner and a tiny pot or a flask on it

I'm not allowed to brew in the house anymore
I was even yelled at making a starter

SWMBO loves it when I brew in the house, because I do it when she is out shopping, and she gets a spotlessly clean kitchen when I'm done. She even will suggest a brew weekend when I got other things to do.

Its all how you play the game.

Law of the joint. Play by the rules, and you can make up your own rules.

Yeah, I didn't have the nerve to try that either. Wet grain bags are getting heavier, since my partial mashes are turning into mostly mashes...:rockin:

For the time being, this is my ghetto brew stand. The rest of the brew room is alright, but the stand could use some work.

IMG_7950 (800x533).jpg

this is an upgrade from using buckets and ladders, but i wanted to share my garden sprayer sparge arm adapted to a 3/8 ss faucet connecter. works pretty good, i just move it around while it is running.

KIMG01421.jpg

Back