GF filter issues with hop 'gunk'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_CdY

Full time woodturner, part time brewer...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On one of my first uses of a Grainfather Connect I discovered the hard way that the residue from hop additions will seriously clog the pump filter. The easy solution was to add a hop spider to help filter the residual gunk.

While the spider helped quite a bit the hop gunk still surrounded the course filter on the GF but not nearly as bad a previously. As an example it took 20 minutes to move 5 gallons of wort to the fermenter. Short of purchasing a standalone pump what else can be be used to provide a pre-filter or screen for the pump filter.

You shouldn’t transfer that fast, since you’re trying to cool it down before pitching.

There is a perforated basket from another grainfather type product, I forget the name but it fits right inside the grainfather. If you search, you should find it.

I have the same issue here, some brews worse than others.

Personally, I put the filter on backwards (so the rubber cap is held on by the temp probe well), and if I see a slowdown I just gently scrape the filter with the mash paddle. I try to do this while it's initially recirculating through the chiller, rather than while I'm filling the fermenter, but sometimes it's unavoidable. You may get a tiny bit of extra debris in the fermenter, but it should all settle out.

You can also stop the pump and force air back but I'm not a fan of that approach

I saw this screen recommended and tried it (it definitely does fit) and it was much better for avoiding pump clogs, but I felt it interfered with the boil a little bit so I stopped using it.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/replacement-malt-pipe-boiler-screen-35l-robobrew-brewzilla.html

You shouldn’t transfer that fast, since you’re trying to cool it down before pitching.

There is a perforated basket from another grainfather type product, I forget the name but it fits right inside the grainfather. If you search, you should find it.

I should have been more descriptive, I had already cooled the wort to 66 and ran it against the side of the fermenter to insure no splashing during the transfer.

As on the previous reply, I should have more descriptive. The GF has a false bottom with a fine messed screen. The gunk is quite fine, somewhat like a sludge.

Yeah, the false bottom that I posted fits below the grainfather false bottom. It’s like a double false bottom.

Have you tried whirlpooling? Getting all the hop junk in a pile in the middle?

WBB, thanks for the input, I will try both, but seperately, to I can see which works best. This is one of those duhhhh moments! I have the whirlpool attachment for my drill and never once thought about using it! If nothing else it shows I'm a newbee.... but you don't learn and improve if you don't ask....!

What I've done is take the ball and spring out of the valve , and added a false bottom to my Gf. I didnt get the robobrew one I just used an extra top screen I had from the Gf. It doesnt cover all the bottom surface but it does work well. Once I get a chance I will order the robobrew false bottom.

Attachments

• 20191102_143509.jpg
    20191102_143509.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 38
I've done close to 100 batches in my Grainfather Connect. I haven't experienced the same issues as you. I did however take the ball and spring out of the valve. Right from the first brew. I whirlpool absolutely every time, no matter what beer I'm doing and how much hops I use. A 30 seconds whirlpool and a 15-25 minutes rest helps settle out a lot of hop debris and bits of grains. I transfer clear wort into my fermenters each time. I never have more than 1 cm of trub in my fermenters.

Thanks for all the input, my first mission is the simplest, remember the spring and ball, why didn't I think of that?, Thanks thehasze! I will also try the whirlpool, that may wind up being a very simple solution.

Thanks to all that contributed.

This is a good video about using the robobrew false bottom

This could have not come at a better time, for some reason I thought a false bottom would interfere with the boil but per David Heath in this video it will not. I actually subscribe to David's channel and I have learned a great deal from him. I will now begin the search for the filter.

Latest posts

Back