Filter for pellet hops & Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathlabrob

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 10 gal pro pilot system and have only brewed 3 times so far with it. It has a 20 gal boil pot with whirlpool. My recent brew clogged the output valve with residual from only 2 oz of pellet hops during the boil. Since the wort is transferred to the therminator plate chiller via a pump, I’m looking for solutions to help prevent the clog and help keep the hops/trub from entering my chiller (since it is difficult to get out even with reversing the flow). I actually had a blichmann hopblocker installed, which may work well with the whole hops, nut it did nothing for the dissolved pellet hops. During a search I found something called a hop spider. Has anyone had any experience with using it with pellet hops? If so, did it successfully screen the sediment? I also found a company that sells custom metal screen baskets but they were pricey and I’m not sure how that would work with a whirlpool and 240v heating element in the bottom of the pot.
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!
Rob Williams

When I was using keggles, I also used my hop spider. 6" diameter, 14" of stainless mesh, would hold about a full pound of hop pellets. One with a larger diameter would hold more, or allow them to swim more freely.

There's a place in Utah that makes them, and will customize them to fit your need as well.
https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php
I had reached out when I was thinking of getting a larger one for the keggle. Since I've gone to a 20 gallon Spike+ kettle, I've not needed it. I did add a wort strainer (from Brewers Hardware) between the pump and plate chiller. That's kept the hop matter out of the chiller for every batch. I typically catch 3-4oz of matter in the strainer with each use.

If you can mount the wort filter, that might be a better solution for you as well, compared with a spider.
https://www.brewershardware.com/Wort-Strainers/I have the smallest one listed there 3" body), since it's rated for up to 30 gallon batches. I might upgrade to a larger one at some point. But for now, this one does the job very well. I would advise getting the mounting bracket they sell. Just be sure you can get the correct size f'king metric bolt it uses to mount that. I wanted to use a stainless one to mount mine, but none of the hardware stores have such an animal. When I place my next order with Fastenal, I plan to get at least one (or a few) of them to use.

I resorted to bag all my hops. They get "massaged" and drained every 5 minutes or so to refresh the wort inside. Seems to work well, even with NEIPA hop loads. But for larger batches (over 10 gallons) that may be cumbersome.

I've heard this works well Hop Stopper

No personal experience but the reviews have been good.

I just got one of those. Looks good, haven't used it yet.

The communication with the vendor was great to make sure I was getting the right size

When I was using keggles, I also used my hop spider. 6" diameter, 14" of stainless mesh, would hold about a full pound of hop pellets. One with a larger diameter would hold more, or allow them to swim more freely.

There's a place in Utah that makes them, and will customize them to fit your need as well.
https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php
I had reached out when I was thinking of getting a larger one for the keggle. Since I've gone to a 20 gallon Spike+ kettle, I've not needed it. I did add a wort strainer (from Brewers Hardware) between the pump and plate chiller. That's kept the hop matter out of the chiller for every batch. I typically catch 3-4oz of matter in the strainer with each use.

If you can mount the wort filter, that might be a better solution for you as well, compared with a spider.
https://www.brewershardware.com/Wort-Strainers/I have the smallest one listed there 3" body), since it's rated for up to 30 gallon batches. I might upgrade to a larger one at some point. But for now, this one does the job very well. I would advise getting the mounting bracket they sell. Just be sure you can get the correct size f'king metric bolt it uses to mount that. I wanted to use a stainless one to mount mine, but none of the hardware stores have such an animal. When I place my next order with Fastenal, I plan to get at least one (or a few) of them to use.
Thank you for the info and advice. I just ordered a hop spider 8” and the 4” wort strainer (with mounting hardware…Lol….good advice) from brewers hardware!

Back