Getting the Johnson in the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
So Mrs. Santa is bringing a Johnson A419 next month & I get to claim one of our full-size upright fridges for brewing. Have read a lot of threads about Johnsons & Rancos but find very little about getting the probe inside the box.

I don't want to just close the door on the probe wire so that means I'll be looking for access through the back. Any of you guys with experience have some wisdom to share on this? I'll drill a hole if I have to but would prefer to find an existing path in.

I will confess, I've not pulled it away from the wall and even looked at the back yet. Probably should have done that before asking but. . .any guidance?

I don't have any specific suggestions for a fridge, but one thing to keep in mind, as I found out when installing my Johnson in a chest freezer, is that if the probe won't go through whatever small hole is available, you can disconnect the wires from the Johnson and run the wires through the hole from inside out, then reconnect.

Back