Getting rid of "Fermenter Funk"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
We all know that funky smell that gets in the plastic fermenting buckets over time. No matter how much you scrub you end up with that smell. Does anyone know of a way to get that smell out of there? I am considering dumping some bleach in it and letting it sit for a day or two and see what happens, but I didn't know if someone else had found a way that works.

I clean with Oxyclean, rinse, and leave the lid off or loose so it dries and airs out completely. I think the main thing is to not seal it up after cleaning.

Bleach is not a terrible idea if the smell bothers you. The smell could be coming from scratches in your bucket holding on to bacteria.

One simple answer, Oxyclean. That stuff is amazing, just put it in there let it sit for a night or two and clean your fermentation chamber out. Thats all I clean with, I have never once scrubbed a carboy or ferm chamber...

Scrubbing plastic is bad news! Scratch city. I also oxyclean. Never need to scrub. However, after like 20 batches in the same fermenter, there is still a "beer" smell that oxy doesn't solve. Maybe I should try vinegar.

my thoughts are/
who cares if it smells. it wont affect anything... just my personal opinion.

my thoughts are/
who cares if it smells. it wont affect anything... just my personal opinion.

+1. My plastic ferm buckets have smelled since the first batch. As long as they are clean and sanitary, there should be nothing to worry about.

I usually do an oxyclean soak for a couple of hours and then a 10% bleach soak overnight. It tends to knock the smell down some, or at least keep it from getting new funk. I do use the soft side of a sponge to wipe down the inside just for my own sanity.

Another vote for Oxyclean. It really is outstanding...it just works. Cleans my boil kettle back to it's original shine as well.

We all know that funky smell that gets in the plastic fermenting buckets over time. No matter how much you scrub you end up with that smell. Does anyone know of a way to get that smell out of there? I am considering dumping some bleach in it and letting it sit for a day or two and see what happens, but I didn't know if someone else had found a way that works.

Even hot bleach doesn't totally remove that smell.
So I just don't worry about it anymore.

Hot water and Oxy for the cleaning, if you still have odor issues fill the bucket with hot water add about a 1-1/2 cups of baking soda (arm and hammer),stir, and let it sit for a few hours. It should pull most if not all odors from the bucket. If you have a spigot, it may need disassembled and soaked also.

I've only brewed a couple batches, and I already have that smell in my fermenting bucket. I've soaked in Oxy clean for a couple of days, even diluted bleach, still smells funkie!

I'm not gonna worry about it, as long as it's disinfected and clean, it should be fine.

Hot water and Oxy for the cleaning, if you still have odor issues fill the bucket with hot water add about a 1-1/2 cups of baking soda (arm and hammer),stir, and let it sit for a few hours. It should pull most if not all odors from the bucket. If you have a spigot, it may need disassembled and soaked also.

But if I disassemble the spigot, won't all of the water come out? :drunk:

Back