Getting rid of bitter aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eight

Reaction score
I'm a noob brewer that has done 5 batches so far.
My first 2 were amazing (1 amber and 1 Belgian tripel).

The third one was the same recipe as the 1st amber ale, but it turned out pretty bad.
Every time I would open a bottle the head would start pouring out and wouldn't stop for minutes. And also there was this bitter aftertaste that obscured the nice amber ale taste that I liked.

The fourth was the same Tripel as before. And it had the same problem with the head (this time it could be prevented by putting the bottle in the fridge for a while) and the same annoying aftertaste.

And now I've done a wheat beer, and it seems it's gonna have the bitter aftertaste as well.

So the question is: What's causing this? The recipes and the process seem to be the same...

Could be infection, but need to know more about the recipes, all grain or extract? Primary time? What sanitizer are you using? What is your process for bottle cleaning and sanitation prior to filling. How long do you bottle condition and then chill before opening a bottle?

I would fully review the bottling process - cleaning and sanitation of the racking/siphon, bottle bucket and spigot (take it apart and clean it), tubing (maybe replace it), bottle wand, bottles, caps - try to rule that OUT before you go more in depth on other issues. This assumes that you are using recipes with good integrity.

Could be infection, but need to know more about the recipes, all grain or extract? Primary time? What sanitizer are you using? What is your process for bottle cleaning and sanitation prior to filling. How long do you bottle condition and then chill before opening a bottle?

All recipes are extract, primary time: minimum 2 weeks; 3 or more for the tripel. I use 96% drinking alcohol for everything and water with iodine for the bottles. Prior to filling I clean the bottles using a device that sprays the iodine water up the bottle, then let them dry for an hour or so, and then fill them up (usually they still smell of iodine at this stage. could it be this?). Bottle conditioning is again 2 weeks, and more for the heavy tripel.

Could be the iodine, I used to have a sharp bitter almost metallic like taste to my beers when I was using it. When I switched to starsan the taste went away. Doesn't explain the gushers though.

How should an infection taste? I have to say that even though the taste is not ideal, it's still more drinkable than much of the stuff you can get at the grocery shop. I thought an infection would completely ruin the beer...

So I'm gonna brew a porter today... is there a consensus that it's an infection caused during the bottling stage? Or should I try change something in the brew process to try to make it less bitter?

I'd use starsan for all sanititization (assuming you can get it). As mentioned above, gushers can mean infection or overcarbonation. Unfortunately, both can also cause harsh aftertastes.... At least with starsan, you know you are getting a good kill rate (assuming bottles are appropriately clean), and you have no apparent impact on the taste of the beer.

Did you try letting one go flat, as suggested above?

Just to address the possibility of overcarbonation, two important things...

1- make sure your beer is done fermenting. Three weeks should be enough, but test with a hydrometer twice, spaced over three days, just to be sure. If the gravity is the same, you should be done.

2 - check to make sure you are using the right amount of priming sugar. Northern Brewer has a pretty good priming sugar calculator. I've noticed a lot of the extract kits come with about 5oz of priming sugar. In many instances, the "ideal" priming rate is less than that - like 3 or 4 oz. Too much sugar will absolutely get you a gusher, and possibly bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back