Getting ready to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
So I bought this from AIH. 5 Gallon Ball Lock Keg System w/ Picnic Faucets, 2 USED Kegs and I received the 2 kegs but I am waiting on the rest of the kit. Also picking up 2 5# Co2 tanks today.

We brewed about 12 days ago, we have 20 gallons of brew fermenting in 4 - 6 gallon carboys and we are looking to transfer to the kegs this weekend.

Kinda scary that we dont have the rest of the equipment that we need to keg this beer and get it under pressure.

Can I even syphon this beer into the kegs and close up without having any kind of way to purge with Co2 (no hoses, regulator or post connectors - waiting on all of this)

Should I just postpone the kegging until the parts come in? What worries will I have about my beer by waiting longer?

- btw the beers are both heavily hopped IPA's just 2 different recipes

Thanks.

I would leave the beer in the fermenters protected from oxidation until the rest of your kit arrives. Another week or even 2 would not hurt anything. I brewed for years going 2 weeks in primary and 2 in secondary before bottling because I was avoiding having to pull samples and test for FG. You'd want to charge those kegs asap once you transfer.

ok, I guess we will just postpone kegging until the rest of the equipment arrives - Thank you.

Look up transferring your beer into 100% liquid pre-purged kegs. It prevents (or largely reduces) air exposure and resulting oxidation.

Why two 5# tanks? For home use a 20# can be much more cost effective, a 20# fill/swap runs $25 here, a 5# $15.

Look up transferring your beer into 100% liquid pre-purged kegs. It prevents (or largely reduces) air exposure and resulting oxidation.

Why two 5# tanks? For home use a 20# can be much more cost effective, a 20# fill/swap runs $25 here, a 5# $15.
Sorry - shouldve mentioned that I picked up 2 because one was for my friend who I brew with. We both bought the same setup, he has a fridge he is using as a fermentation chamber - which he plans on using for a kegerator as well and I picked up a chest freezer I plan on turning into a keezer.

Latest posts

Back