• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Getting out of the hobby - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
Dear Brewers,

After realizing my relationship with beer is a little too one-sided, I've decided to hang up my mash-paddle and cash-out my hobby.

What's the best way to list my stuff? Here and craigslist?
Also should i try to bundle as much as possible, or piecemeal everything? As an example, i have a keezer that holds 6 5-gallon taps and a CO2 bottle, it has a 6-way gas manifold, 6 faucets and 6 nice maple tap handles. The freezer is less than a year old. I could try to sell this as a package, or "strip it".

Also, is there a resource to get pricing or is it simply a matter of looking for similar items on websites and pricing to the market?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

For selling used items, my advice is to knock 30-70% off of the current retail price, depending on wear & tear and demand.
Piecing out items is likely your best bet, and if you're willing to ship you'll get a lot more interest.

(I am a former eBay powerseller and also have experience buying and selling on Craigslist, for profit)

There are also options for brewing low-carb and/or low-alcohol beers, if that would interest you. :)
I'm sure I would still make beer if I had to cut alcohol or calories/carbs, because I like how it tastes.

For selling used items, my advice is to knock 30-70% off of the current retail price, depending on wear & tear and demand.
Piecing out items is likely your best bet, and if you're willing to ship you'll get a lot more interest.

(I am a former eBay powerseller and also have experience buying and selling on Craigslist, for profit)

There are also options for brewing low-carb and/or low-alcohol beers, if that would interest you. :)
I'm sure I would still make beer if I had to cut alcohol or calories/carbs, because I like how it tastes.

Thanks for your response - i probably will part things out. Its just that my keezer is set up for 6 taps, if i sell each tap separately, there might be some loss of value there.

So, do you recommend craigslist/ebay over HBT? or just list on as many places as possible?

Its just that my keezer is set up for 6 taps, if i sell each tap separately, there might be some loss of value there.
I'd definitely try to sell that complete, with an option to buy the tank and/or kegs, which can always be sold separately if it so happens.

Craigslist is mainly for local, but even a 2-3 hour drive each way for a smart buyer, looking past their immediate surroundings, is very doable for the right (large) equipment purchase.

But, I too would first look into alcohol free/low alcohol/low carb homebrew beverages before committing to drinking tea all the time.

Can't offer much help. I no longer drink beer though I really enjoy brewing it. I'll be selling off some, but not all.

On low calorie beer, just wanted to show you guys a sort of grainfather - fermentation and dispense all in the same unit. Hell, I don't even use malt. I always regretted moving away from it, really happy to be back:

vache_tarine.jpg

Appreciate all the feedback.
I consider my motivations for selling-off and quitting off-topic.

I'll probably package the keezer with taps and CO2 system together, and sell kegs, fermenters, kettles, and other gear a-la-carte. Possibly offer a steep discount for someone to take everything at once.

Thanks - this looks like a big task, which i will procrastinate for spring break.

I've always liked cows. I almost feel bad for eating them.

I'm almost there with pigs and chickens.
Pigs for empathetic reasons, and chickens because they're pretty gross.
Only way i do chickens anymore is deep fried crispy and slathered in hot sauce.

Beef just tastes too good...although i understand that it is the most ecologically damaging meat there is.

Appreciate all the feedback.
I consider my motivations for selling-off and quitting off-topic.

I'll probably package the keezer with taps and CO2 system together, and sell kegs, fermenters, kettles, and other gear a-la-carte. Possibly offer a steep discount for someone to take everything at once.

Thanks - this looks like a big task, which i will procrastinate for spring break.

Norselord, I certainly wasn't questioning your motivations, nor would I (goes without saying, I would think). I'm sorry I brought a bit of levity. Good luck with the sale. I'm offering soon myself, as I said.

I'm almost there with pigs and chickens.
Pigs for empathetic reasons, and chickens because they're pretty gross.
Only way i do chickens anymore is deep fried crispy and slathered in hot sauce.

Beef just tastes too good...although i understand that it is the most ecologically damaging meat there is.

The cow and boy you see in the pics above are (were) raised on 10 acres, 6 in pasture, by managed intensive rotational grazing (MIRG). The grass and they are in perfect harmony. It's not beef, it's the hellholes that all industrial meat endures- CAFO's, "concentrated animal feeding operations" - that is killing all of us.

cafo1_0 cows.jpg
ayrshire girls on grassy knoll.jpg
Emily, Lola, Isabelle, Charlie - Heus's.jpg
lola and isabelle.jpg

Sorry, I was reluctant to post again as I know it can suck to have a thread derailed. I'll let you get on with your sale.

Seeing that you are wanting to get rid of everything I would be more then happy to take it off of your hands. Just send me your address and I will come pick it all up. I won’t even charge you a disposal fee.

But like everyone said it’s probably best to list it all in various locations and if someone wants then piece it out as a second option.

Dear Brewers,

After realizing my relationship with beer is a little too one-sided, I've decided to hang up my mash-paddle and cash-out my hobby.

What's the best way to list my stuff? Here and craigslist?
Also should i try to bundle as much as possible, or piecemeal everything? As an example, i have a keezer that holds 6 5-gallon taps and a CO2 bottle, it has a 6-way gas manifold, 6 faucets and 6 nice maple tap handles. The freezer is less than a year old. I could try to sell this as a package, or "strip it".

Also, is there a resource to get pricing or is it simply a matter of looking for similar items on websites and pricing to the market?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Put it all in the for sale area. State no shipping (pickup only), and one price for all.

Give an incredibly low price. Free is best. I've given all sorts of stuff away here. The few bucks I might have gotten are nothing - the appreciation by receiving parties was priceless.

I imagine this will be a last farewell. Farewell, and fare thee well Norselord.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back