Getting drunk from home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Hi.

My wife is out of town tonight, so I'm enjoying my bachelor's week. This is the second time I've been noticeably drunk off of my own home brew, and i have to say it's a very rewarding experience.

Its one thing to know that your beer taste good, but its another thing to know that it *works*.

As a newby homebrewer, I have to say that the first couple of drunks from my own home made brew is just a great time. Its nice to think that I took basically a couple of bags of sugar (extract brewer, I remind) and made them into something beautiful.

Cheesefood said:
I took basically a couple of bags of sugar (extract brewer, I remind) and made them into something beautiful.
Now there's a great marketing slogan for you! :cool:

AlaskaAl(e) said:
How do you guys get yours to come out alcoholic?

My last brew turned out to be somewhere areound 7%!! I am a pretty novice brewer myself, and I was expecting to be around 5-5.5%, and somehow my alcohol content jumped in the fermentor. Ah well, my buddies and I enjoyed it.

Three beers and I usually feel it. Five beers and I feel all fat and happy. (especially because my homebrew favorites usually have around 180-200 calories per bottle... five beers=900-1,000 calories... :eek: ) No wonder I don't lose weight.

homebrewer_99 said:
Are you crazy?!? :confused:

I don't add anything to my beer. :D
heh sorry. guess that went woosh!
i presume(d) that AlaskaAl(e)s question was a joke, so i answered as a joke....

andre the giant said:
Three beers and I usually feel it. Five beers and I feel all fat and happy. (especially because my homebrew favorites usually have around 180-200 calories per bottle... five beers=900-1,000 calories... :eek: ) No wonder I don't lose weight.
how do you measure the calories???
the first batch i made myself and a mate sat down and drank about 7 pints each, to see if it "worked". we were fine till we stood up...

Oh yeah baby, my first batch was pretty strong, probably in the 5-7% range. I didn't measure it ahead of time to find out for sure. One 22oz bottle and I can "feel" it. A second and i'm happy-happy-happy...

I love this stuff. It's hard to drink beer that isn't homebrew anymore.

kenmc said:
heh sorry. guess that went woosh!
i presume(d) that AlaskaAl(e)s question was a joke, so i answered as a joke....

No, No Its American humor too. He knew where you were joking . He was just a little sly in his response that his beer didn't need the kick. Kind of bragging in a way.. jokingly

Definitely, bragging!

I mostly only drink my HB. I'll try local pubs and such, but I don't touch any of the American big 3 or 4's brews. I really like German brews except for Pils, which is too bitter to me.

I do drink the local stuff when I'm traveling, like Red Stripe in Jamaica, Efes in Turkey, Mythos in Greece, OB in Korea, Guinniess / Killkenny Ale in Ireland, etc.

homebrewer_99 said:
Definitely, bragging!

I mostly only drink my HB. I'll try local pubs and such, but I don't touch any of the American big 3 or 4's brews. I really like German brews except for Pils, which is too bitter to me.

I do drink the local stuff when I'm traveling, like Red Stripe in Jamaica, Efes in Turkey, Mythos in Greece, OB in Korea, Guinniess / Killkenny Ale in Ireland, etc.

You lucky bastard ! The beer must taste better when you're in the proper environment for it. Reading you here, it seems that you've been nearly everywhere. I envy you sir ! The only thing better would be to do it all in a short time. Around the (beer) world in 80 days, as it were.

sudsmonkey said:
You lucky bastard ! The beer must taste better when you're in the proper environment for it. Reading you here, it seems that you've been nearly everywhere. I envy you sir ! The only thing better would be to do it all in a short time. Around the (beer) world in 80 days, as it were.
if it makes you feel any worse, I will be heading away travelling in jan for up to 12 months, and will be imbibing the local beverages of singapore, malaysia, thailand, cambodia, laos, vietnam, china, Oz, Fiji and NZ. I will try to post a report here if i remember! :)

kenmc said:
how do you measure the calories???

I just type the information into the form on this web page, and presto! You get all sorts of info on the caloric content of your brew.

"This ain't no 90 calorie sissy beer" Andre says as he hefts a pint of Oatmeal Stout. :D

sudsmonkey said:

Yeah, I do seem to take advantage of my traveling.

I was in Germany in July and am going back to Korea in Oct.

kenmc said:
if it makes you feel any worse, I will be heading away travelling in jan for up to 12 months, and will be imbibing the local beverages of singapore, malaysia, thailand, cambodia, laos, vietnam, china, Oz, Fiji and NZ. I will try to post a report here if i remember! :)

I had a few Guiness' at the Temple Bar in Dublin myself. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I had a few Guiness' at the Temple Bar in Dublin myself. :D
personally not a huge fan of that bar - i find it too touristy :cool:, but i guess if you're a tourist then it's perfect! but theres some obscene number of pubs in dublin - theres some statistic like you could go drinking every day in a different pub and not revisit any bar for 3 years. i dunno though if thats in dublin city or including the surrounding county....
did ya go to the guinness brewery? how about the dublin brewing company (they make becketts ale, maeves crystal wheat and darcy's stout)

kenmc said:
personally not a huge fan of that bar - i find it too touristy :cool:, but i guess if you're a tourist then it's perfect! but theres some obscene number of pubs in dublin - theres some statistic like you could go drinking every day in a different pub and not revisit any bar for 3 years. i dunno though if thats in dublin city or including the surrounding county....
did ya go to the guinness brewery? how about the dublin brewing company (they make becketts ale, maeves crystal wheat and darcy's stout)

...or maybe you just won't remember visiting the same bar twice...?

Yes, I was a definite tourist. No regrets though. :D

No tour of the brewery. My wife would not have liked to be by herself... :( ..until I came back...soused! :D

Depends on what I'm drinking. My Cream Ale is at ~4% ABV and I can have 2 or 3 and not feel much. My Irish Stout is ~5% - 2 or 3 and a very mild buzz.

My 1st All-grain... now that I can feel after the first 12 oz. glass! It came in at just above 6% ABV. By the third one, I've got to either stop or munch on something! :)

I had an Aventinus and a couple of my IPA's the other night, and I was tanked. I can generally put them away, but that combo really knocked my hat in the creek (as my old man would say).

HB, what is your secret? You know a ton about homebrew, a ton about foreign beer, and a ton about... well, everything I've ever posted on. Hopefully when I get as old as you are people will say the same about me :rolleyes:.

I think maybe I'm more modest than you are though.:cool::rolleyes::drunk:

I'm only 51! What do you mean by "secret"? I have no secrets other than trying to sample life to it's fullest. I just take advantage (not in a bad way) of all the places I visit.

When I know I'm going somewhere one of the first things I do is get on the net and research what there is to do there, and naturally, what the locals drink, etc.

Then I balance that against the REAL reason I'm there (work or strictly vacation) divided by time (length of stay) minus how many of the activities there are to do and their relative location to where I am.

I know it sounds confusing. I sure did a job on that explanation.

I read alot. All different subjects, but I'm not like other "mainsream" readers. I mean just about everyone reads whatever's on the top 10 best sellers list. I avoid those books for the most part. I did read "The DiVinci Code" after it was out a year or so.

For example, in the bathroom downstairs (I know too much info) I have several Clone Brewing books and a book on the History of the Scottish Highlands. In the bathroom upstairs I'm reading a medieval mystery book "Baudolino" (same guy who wrote "Name of the Rose" - saw the movie, didn't read the book). In the TV room I have an assortment of brewing books. At my computer I have a large book on World Mythology, an English translation of the Prophesies of Nostradamus, and a German/English dictionary. When I was on travel last I finished a book called "The Day After Roswell" that's supposed to be true. I left the book in the room. Usually, if it's a paperback I'll leave it behind for someone else after I'm done with it. That one took me 6 months to read. I'm not a fast reader. I like to absorb what I am reading.

I guess I like to read a lot of history type subjects. I don't like reading science fiction, but I like watching the movies.:D

Funny thing is I don't like to read. One time I didn't read a book for about what felt like 10 years. I just wasn't interested.

No secrets here.

Bill- You do come off as a well traveled, well rounded gent. I get you on the reading. I can burn through a book I'm into, but something I don't particularly want to read seems to take a lifetime. Usually, that's anything the wife wants me to read.
I think your approach to your travelling is great. When I was on the road, the family would come to visit occasionally. At night, my kids would ask, " Dad, did you know there was a pioneer fort here ? ". I'd tell them " No. Did you know that the grocery down the street has a $2 a pound salad bar ?". I never really experienced the places I went. My travels weren't as far and wide as yours. I envy your approach to the world around you.:drunk:

Back