Getting DME into solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I was just reading another thread regarding the differences between DME and LME. When I use extract, I tend to use LME bought from online vendors with the thought that their turnover is sufficient to ensure fresh LME. The primary reason I prefer LME is that I have so much trouble stirring in the DME and getting the "chunks" to dissolve. I have about 15 pounds of assorted DME and I'd really like to use it in my partial mashes, or whatever, so does anyone have any tips for getting this stuff to readily dissolve?

The answer is, "Stir, stir, Stir."

To experiment once I dumped the entire 8 or 10 pounds of dme into the water at once, and just kept stirring...eventually it all dissolves in...and your arm is then much stronger.

Yep...that stuff is stubborn.

DME turns clingy and sticky if you look at it wrong...then once in the boil pot, refuses to go under and take one for the team.

+1 on taking it off the heat. You should also add it a little at a time, stir that in, then add another little bit (unlike Revvy's method above). This reduces clumping and makes it dissolve faster.

Yep...that stuff is stubborn.

DME turns clingy and sticky if you look at it wrong...then once in the boil pot, refuses to go under and take one for the team.

Yeah, it doesn't take kindly to an increase in humidity - especially with the steam coming off the kettle.

Solstice, I'd measure it out in a bowl. You try pouring it directly out of the bag, and the DME will gum up at the opening. Much cussing and gnashing of teeth will follow.

I agree with the whisk solution. It worked well for me 2 weeks ago.

After whisking until my arm threaten to revolt, I considering using an electric hand mixer. I might try it next time I brew. Low speed and small amount additions.

Try picking up a large wire whisk from a restaurant supply house or one of the Bed/Bath and Beyond type stores. Using a small whisk is hard and does not get into the pot deep enough. I have given some thought to using a paint stirrer on a small hand drill. Just thought, no action yet! I am concerned with aerating the wort to much during the boil, but do not know if it matters that much or not.

Salute! :mug:

Edit: Wow like minds thinking alike!

Since I started boiling in my keggle, I don't have the issue with DME dissolving I used to have in partial boils. The larger amount of boiling wort, plus the larger pot, seems to make the DME just disappear.

I only have problems with steam. Steam coming off the boil will hit the DME in the bag and make it clump. I have to turn the bag inside out and scrape it with my spoon to get it all out.

1. Measure the total amount into a bowl
2. Remove pot from heat.
3. Scoop about a cup at a time into pot and stir it in--I just use a cup measure as a scoop, then when there's not much left in the bowl I pour the remainder in.
4. Return to heat.

Yeah, it doesn't take kindly to an increase in humidity - especially with the steam coming off the kettle.

Solstice, I'd measure it out in a bowl. You try pouring it directly out of the bag, and the DME will gum up at the opening. Much cussing and gnashing of teeth will follow.

Never had this problem ;) When I pour DME from the bag I cut off the entire top and pour, but I don't turn the bag completely upside down. At most I turn it 90 degrees on its side. This prevents the steam from entering the bag and creating Playdo! Of course, I still had to stir like a banshee after adding 7 lbs in a full wort boil....

"If I could move my hand that fast, I'd never leave the house", Beavis

When I pour DME from the bag I cut off the entire top and pour, but I don't turn the bag completely upside down. At most I turn it 90 degrees on its side. This prevents the steam from entering the bag and creating Playdo!

That would certainly work! But I only use DME for starters, so just cutting a corner off the bag works better. :D

For late additions, I place DME and tap water in a container with a lid and shake that up before adding it to the hot wort.

Its the same thing you do when adding flour to thicken a gravy.

I've found that adding the DME to cool water seems to reduce (not eliminate) the clumping. This has led me to a 2-part boil where I steep my specialty grains in one pot with around a gallon or so of water while I'm stirring the DME into solution in my main brewpot.

It takes a bit more time, but I think I get better extraction on the specialty grains than I would steeping in hot wort, and the the DME dissolves more readily than it would in hot water.

I just bought a paint stirrer, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Has anyone had problems with the fact that paint stirrers tend to be panted steel instead of stainless?

According to the Coopers website, take 2 liters of water off the boil in a large container, add your DME, then pick the whole container up and swirl gently. I have also done it like that and never had clumping. As soon as you use a spoon it's clumpville.

I have never used a whisk but I will try it if I ever have issues. I have one of those great stick blenders with a large whisk attachment...

Back