Getting BIG Coconut Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 7 lbs, I'm going to follow the brewery recommendation up front, and see how it comes out. I'm also going to bottle a handful of 22 oz bottles of it once it's been carb'd and keg conditioned to hold onto. I'm going to make another coconut porter down the road by toasting it and letting it sit for a week to see the difference with a smaller amount. Then compare it to the left over bottles.

I still need to know if it was sanitized in any way.

FWIW, I've never sanitized about anything that's gone into secondary. When I do my coconut porter, it's toast, in secondary for a week, keg.

Well lesson learned.

Attached is what 1lb of coconut looks like and then what 5lbs looks like.

Do yourself a favor. If you're going to put loose coconut into the bright tank, put it in first. Then transfer your beer. It took me an hour to pack 5 lbs of coconut into that neck by hand. I thought about adding it first. I thought maybe I should do it that way. Should of trusted my instinct.

I'm going to transfer this beer to the keg today, hopefully that part at least goes smooth, but I have no idea how I'm going to get the coconut out...

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

I used 2 lbs in the corney keg. Lost just shy of a gallon. Finishes carbing today. Can't wait to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

subscribing to this thread

I am doing a coconut porter in a few weeks. I have read all about the secondary techniques but someone mentioned in another thread that Maui uses coconut in their mash, boil, and secondary. I think I may go that route. The flavor from using coconut just in the secondary seems to wane after a while for some posters.

Maui also has an abundance of fresh coconut readily available and it costs next to nothing. I'll be curious to hear about your results. I wish I would of tried to make this beer while I still lived there... I had a coconut tree in my backyard.

@bondra76 let us know what happens!

I kinda wimped out - just put 2 lbs in secondary with my last batch for 14 days

Like everyone else, big coconut flavor initially in the keg, but it's started to fade. Next time I am going to reconsider my coconut flavoring. I have heard some guys using zip ties to have a bag of coconut in their kegs (attaching a coconut bag to the spear of the keg).

My imperial coconut chocolate porter ended up tasting amazing, but I am afraid the coconut is fading.

My imperial coconut chocolate porter ended up tasting amazing, but I am afraid the coconut is fading.

I made the exact same beer, and the coconut faded on mine too. Coconut flavor just doesn't do well after like 4-6 weeks

1) From what it sounds like, the initial thought of 1.25lb of coconut per gallon may be a bit high. A lesser amount left in longer will net the same results. T/F

2) Toasted coconut vs untoasted coconut...sounds like this is 50/50

3) In the past I've soaked my addition with vodka for a couple days to extract flavor and sanitize the addition. Has anybody tried this?

I just kegged a sweet stout with a pound and a half of coconut, 1lb toasted the half regular to get the best of both... We will see

Do yourself a favor. If you're going to put loose coconut into the bright tank, put it in first. Then transfer your beer. It took me an hour to pack 5 lbs of coconut into that neck by hand. I thought about adding it first. I thought maybe I should do it that way. Should of trusted my instinct.

Definite "Lesson Learned" here as well........

I put in my coconut after I racked to secondary. Same problems - the coconut was sitting on top and was dry. I had to keep swishing my beer around to try and get the coconut wet and settle in somewhat. And of course swishing your beer and introducing O2 anytime after fermentation = not good.

Going to try a "Last Snow" clone this weekend. I am making two 1-gallon experimental batches. May play around with the coconut addition a little bit.

Last Imp Stout I did I used 1lb in 5gal for 5-6 days which yielded a mild nose with a large presence on the finish.
I did a couple tests on toasting and found that the more it was toasted (which seems like it would be better) the less intense the aroma was. I wound up roasting low at around 200* for maybe 10-15 minutes. Enough to get it warm and extract some oils. Patted down as best I could with some paper towels and threw it in secondary. When racking I boiled a fine mesh muslin bag and zip tied it over my racking cane which worked really well. The Coconut oil doesn't really affect head retention too much. Head subsides after about a minute but it's also a 9% stout so I'm happy with it.

I am in a stage of my home brewing hobby that I love to experiment. Making four 1 gallon batches of scottish ale tomorrow actually.

I have some ideas I want to run by you guys with coconut, and see what you think

1 - Fermented Coconut Water. Thinking about taking coconut water and fermenting it out and then back sweetening it with pineapple juice or something else. Any thoughts? I especially would love some feedback on what yeast to use for this purpose. My default go-to is always Nottingham (which I use in my ciders). This basically would be the same technique in making a cider, just with Coconut Milk instead. Not sure of the OG for coconut water but I could add some pineapple juice or honey in there. Maybe even agave.

2 - Fermenting Coconut Milk - Thought of doing this as well. Although drinking a fermented coconut milk probably wouldn't be very good. Drinking a mix of fermented coconut milk added into a low ABV milk stout? Now we are talking. Again, no idea what to use for yeast in coconut milk but stouts are always forgiving on the yeast side.

I recently made 6 gallons of milk stout that I split into 2 3-gallon batches. One I carbed up plain and to the other I added 2 pounds of toasted coconut flakes in a mesh bag, sunk to the bottom of the keg.

After 4 weeks the coconut flavor and aroma are very powerful. It is very drinkable on its own, but I found that a 20:80 blend of coconut:plain is downright amazing.

4lb bag of coconut an 8oz of cocoa nibs into my recent porter and the wort tastes/smells amazing! This is going to be my new favorite brew.

Anyone else want to give any feedback after trying this coconutterrific method? Getting ready to add some coconut to a growler of W00tSt0ut from Stone to share on Christmas 🎄 🎅🏻

What's with all the dark beers?
I have a small batch of coconut cider in the fridge and plan a coconut wheat beer sometime next year.

I know this is a very old thread, but for those of you that have done this, what would you guys say the absorption is of the coconut?

I'm planning on 2# in a 5.5g batch and was curious as to how much I can expect to lose....I plan on using them in a muslin bag loosely tied and weighted down in the fermenter, so as to have the most contact, just wondering how much I will lose, thanks!

I know this is a very old thread, but for those of you that have done this, what would you guys say the absorption is of the coconut?

I'm planning on 2# in a 5.5g batch and was curious as to how much I can expect to lose....I plan on using them in a muslin bag loosely tied and weighted down in the fermenter, so as to have the most contact, just wondering how much I will lose, thanks!

More than I thought. I think I lost almost a gallon with less coconut than that. I also didn't try to squeeze the coconut or anything to recover it, so you may do better in the bags.

Back