Getting back into brewing - overall 2nd opinion on plan please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N6GQ

Reaction score
Hey all, I used to do a lot of all grain brewing, but its been a number of years and I'm starting fresh now with new gear, and after going through some rigorous cancer treatment (meaning my mind is not as sharp as I remember). So I'm hoping you can give me some guidance to make sure I'm on the right track.

So I got a 10.5 gallon Anvil Foundry and Anvil fermenter to go with it. My first recipe is going to be a hefeweizen. My mashbill is 13.2 pounds of grains (11.7 pounds of grains called out in recipe) and a 60 minute dose of hops. I'd like to do a "No Sparge" brew, and as I understand this it means that I'm going to have more grains and more water, and basically just cook it like a soup and then pull the grains out in the malt tube at the end, pre-boil.

So my plan is as follows, very generally speaking:

1. Put X gallons of water in the Foundy and bring it up to 154 (mashing temp per recipe)
2. Dump grains in malt tube and immerse and stir while recirculating (60 minutes per recipe)
3. After 60 minutes pull malt tube and allow grains to drain and shut off recirc.
4. Toss hops, and bring wort to boil for 60 minutes
5. Insert wort chiller towards end of boil, then at end run chiller, then rack wort to fermenter, and pitch yeast at the correct temp

From there I'm good. But just wanted to make sure that steps 1-5 seem like I'm on the right track with my understanding?

The recipe calls for 1.25 quarts per pound of grain for mashing. I don't think that takes into account the "No Sparge" plan so in step 1 I need to figure out how much water to start with to account for the increased grain mass as well as how much water stays in the removed grains and account for boil off. Whats the way to calculate that?

Thanks y'all, appreciate the guidance. I'm also gonna go talk to my local brew supply folks that I got the grains from to confirm but I *think* I'm almost there with my understanding.

If you haven't already, you should join the Anvil Foundry facebook group. lots of very good info, and knowledgeable folks using the Foundry. Also John Blichmann (yes. THAT John Blichmann) is in the group, and will occasionally chime in with things. It's also from my understanding the fastest way to get support for your foundry when things go sideways.

Cheers!

Back